Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Will Mercedes or McLaren land the next punch at F1's Canadian GP?

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Will Mercedes or McLaren land the next punch at F1's Canadian GP?

The mental challenge Evans takes on at Rally Japan

WRC
Rally Japan
The mental challenge Evans takes on at Rally Japan

Why the Catalan GP chaos may finally force MotoGP riders to unite

Feature
MotoGP
Catalan GP
Why the Catalan GP chaos may finally force MotoGP riders to unite

Why Ford 'loves the V8 idea' in F1 amid changing road car strategy

Formula 1
Why Ford 'loves the V8 idea' in F1 amid changing road car strategy

What we learned from MotoGP's wretched Catalan GP

Feature
MotoGP
What we learned from MotoGP's wretched Catalan GP

How Verstappen's Nurburgring adventure marked the next phase of his legacy

Feature
GT
How Verstappen's Nurburgring adventure marked the next phase of his legacy

Why Nurburgring 24 Hours agony may motivate Verstappen to return

Endurance
Why Nurburgring 24 Hours agony may motivate Verstappen to return

Final Catalan GP results as five riders penalised and Mir loses MotoGP podium

MotoGP
Catalan GP
Final Catalan GP results as five riders penalised and Mir loses MotoGP podium

FIA: No Plans to Cancel Italian or US GP (Updated)

Formula One's ruling body plans to go ahead with the season's three remaining races despite Tuesday's terror attacks in New York and Washington.

Formula One's ruling body plans to go ahead with the season's three remaining races despite Tuesday's terror attacks in New York and Washington.

"There is no plan to cancel the future Grands Prix," International Automobile Federation (FIA) spokeswoman Agnes Kaiser told Reuters. She was speaking at Monza where final preparations were being, made for Sunday's Italian Grand Prix.

The FIA would not add to the carefully-worded phrase, which did not say definitively that the races - one of them the U.S. Grand Prix at Indianapolis in two weeks' time - would go ahead. Nor did it appear to rule out any possible rescheduling. The final race is set for Suzuka in Japan on October 14.

But Indianapolis officials in the U.S. said on Wednesday their plans were unchanged and the cars, which travel on privately owned aircraft, should arrive early in the week of the race itself.

"We do not expect any change from the announced schedule," said Tony George, president and CEO of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

The Italian Grand Prix had been the subject of speculation about whether or not it would go ahead following the postponement earlier in the day of European soccer matches.

An editorial on the front page of Wednesday's Gazzetta dello Sport newspaper criticised UEFA for not cancelling matches on Tuesday night but did not mention the Grand Prix.

Successful Defence

The Monza meeting was expected to form a weekend-long celebration of Michael Schumacher's successful defence of the World Drivers' Championship - in a car built by Italian manufacturer Ferrari. Schumacher and teammate Rubens Barrichello have also helped Ferrari secure their third successive Constructors' crown.

But Ferrari, whose largest market is the US, has cancelled a media party that was planned for Saturday night. Although Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo believes the race itself should go ahead, he said on Wednesday it would be treated with dignity.

"My position is that Monza is a race, it is a sports event, life has to go on," he told reporters at the Ferrari factory at Maranello. "But for sure this sports event will be far different from our expectations.

Normal Race

"Of course we will try to do our best everywhere. We cannot say to the people 'do not go to Monza', but we can say that Ferrari will approach Monza not as a party, not as a happy event but as a normal race - one organised in Italy."

Some 60,000 Grandstand seats have been sold for the race and, in total, around 150,000 spectators are expected at the track. Montezemolo, who went to university in New York City, added: "Life has to go on, we are very close and I personally am very close to the United States. I admire that country and its democracy.

"The best thing to do is go on and to do what we have to do every day in the best way."

New York has a considerable Italian-American population, from the mayor down, and many Italians have family ties with the United States. Formula One teams waited for FIA president Max Mosley to return to Europe from a visit to Peru and continued to plan as normal, assuming the race would be on unless told otherwise.

Technicians worked on setting up the paddock at Monza on Wednesday and mechanics and other team personnel flew in as scheduled. However, Schumacher called off a planned charity soccer match he had been due to play on Thursday night.

Previous article Ask Nigel: September 12
Next article Marc Gene Q&A

Top Comments