FIA explains Magnussen and Alonso penalty decisions in Japanese GP

The FIA Formula 1 stewards decided against penalising Kevin Magnussen for his move on Charles Leclerc in the Japanese Grand Prix because it did not appear to be deliberate

FIA explains Magnussen and Alonso penalty decisions in Japanese GP

Leclerc was left fuming at Suzuka on Sunday when he damaged his front wing in a collision with Magnussen as they battled for position early in the race. Magnussen sustained a puncture and had to retire due to associated damage.

The Sauber driver had been tucked into Magnussen's slipstream down the start-finish straight, and as he moved to the inside to try to pass the Haas came across right in front of him.

The stewards investigated but felt the video evidence suggested it was a case of unlucky timing rather than a deliberate chop.

F1 race director Charlie Whiting said: "If you analyse very, very carefully, what you see is two cars coming down, with Kevin not moving and then Charles catches, catches, catches.

"He [Charles] decides to go to the right and, at exactly the same time, or on the video it was one frame, one frame's distance, then Kevin moves.

"I think it is impossible to say Kevin blocked him. It was just that he had made the decision, he was going to go right, fractionally after Charles had.

"You have to look at it quite a few times and analyse it in a little detail to see that.

"But I think it was just unfortunate. And I think that is what the stewards felt."

Alonso penalty explained

Fernando Alonso was among the drivers who did receive a penalty in the Japanese GP, receiving five seconds for the way he cut the chicane to rejoin after being forced off the track by Lance Stroll.

That decision left Alonso incredulous. Stroll was also penalised for causing the initial incident.

Whiting felt there was no choice but to penalise Alonso.

"The stewards felt that it was perfectly clear what Fernando did," he said.

"He cut the chicane, drove quickly across the gravel and came back on way in front.

"It was pretty clear that he had gained an advantage by leaving the track.

"The stewards felt that Stroll had actually forced Fernando off, so you could not say that because Fernando was forced off he was entitled to cut the chicane. He wasn't.

"He should not have taken a place by doing it but equally Stroll should not have pushed him off the track.

"So they felt each driver should get a five-second penalty for two separate offences."

Whiting added that Alonso probably would not have been penalised "if he had given back the position" to Stroll.

shares
comments
Honda not allowed to use tweak to its engine update in Japanese GP

Previous article

Honda not allowed to use tweak to its engine update in Japanese GP

Next article

The groundbreaking four-wheel drive F1 car

The groundbreaking four-wheel drive F1 car
Load comments

About this article

Series Formula 1
Drivers Fernando Alonso , Kevin Magnussen
Author Jonathan Noble
Why the demise of F1's hypocritical spending habit is cause for celebration Plus

Why the demise of F1's hypocritical spending habit is cause for celebration

For too long, F1's richest teams have justified being able to spend as much as they want because that's the way they've always conducted their business. STUART CODLING says that's no reason not to kick a bad habit

The double whammy that is defining Vettel’s F1 fate Plus

The double whammy that is defining Vettel’s F1 fate

It's been a tough start to Sebastian Vettel's Aston Martin F1 career, with a lack of pre-season testing mileage followed by an incident-packed Bahrain GP. But two key underlying factors mean a turnaround is no guarantee

The diva that stole a march on F1’s wide-bodied opposition Plus

The diva that stole a march on F1’s wide-bodied opposition

In 2017 new F1 technical regulations were supposed to add drama - and peg Mercedes back. STUART CODLING looks at the car which, while troubled, set the stage for the wide-bodied Formula 1 era

Formula 1
Apr 13, 2021
The themes to watch in F1’s Imola return Plus

The themes to watch in F1’s Imola return

Three weeks is a long time in Formula 1, but in the reshaped start to the 2021 season the teams head to Imola to pick things up after the frenetic Bahrain opener. Here's what to look out for and the developments to follow at the Emilia Romagna Grand Prix

Formula 1
Apr 13, 2021
The 'new' F1 drivers who need to improve at Imola Plus

The 'new' F1 drivers who need to improve at Imola

After a pandemic-hit winter of seat-swapping, F1 kicked off its season with several new faces in town, other drivers adapting to new environments, and one making a much-anticipated comeback. BEN ANDERSON looks at who made the most of their opportunity and who needs to try harder…

Formula 1
Apr 12, 2021
The delay that quashed Aston Martin’s last F1 venture Plus

The delay that quashed Aston Martin’s last F1 venture

Aston Martin’s only previous foray into Formula 1 in the late 1950s was a short-lived and unsuccessful affair. But it could have been so different, says NIGEL ROEBUCK

Formula 1
Apr 10, 2021
Verstappen exclusive: Why lack of car-racing titles won't hurt Red Bull's ace Plus

Verstappen exclusive: Why lack of car-racing titles won't hurt Red Bull's ace

Max Verstappen’s star quality in Formula 1 is clear. Now equipped with a Red Bull car that is, right now, the world title favourite and the experience to support his talent, could 2021 be the Dutchman’s year to topple the dominant force of Lewis Hamilton and Mercedes?

Formula 1
Apr 9, 2021
Are we at peak F1 right now? Plus

Are we at peak F1 right now?

For many, many years Formula 1 has strived to do and to be better on all fronts. With close competition, a growing fanbase, a stable political landscape and rules in place to encourage sustainability, 2021 is on course to provide an unexpected peak

Formula 1
Apr 8, 2021