Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

How Verstappen's Nurburgring adventure marked the next phase of his legacy

Feature
GT
How Verstappen's Nurburgring adventure marked the next phase of his legacy

Why Nurburgring 24 Hours agony may motivate Verstappen to return

Endurance
Why Nurburgring 24 Hours agony may motivate Verstappen to return

Final Catalan GP results as five riders penalised and Mir loses MotoGP podium

MotoGP
Catalan GP
Final Catalan GP results as five riders penalised and Mir loses MotoGP podium

Acosta slams Catalan GP calls: “It’s awful we acted as if nothing happened”

MotoGP
Catalan GP
Acosta slams Catalan GP calls: “It’s awful we acted as if nothing happened”

DS Penske solid despite frustrating finish in Monaco E-Prix

Formula E
Monaco ePrix II
DS Penske solid despite frustrating finish in Monaco E-Prix

Formula E Monaco E-Prix: Rowland reignites title challenge with first win of 2025-26

Formula E
Monaco ePrix II
Formula E Monaco E-Prix: Rowland reignites title challenge with first win of 2025-26

MotoGP Catalan GP: Di Giannantonio wins chaotic Barcelona race

MotoGP
Catalan GP
MotoGP Catalan GP: Di Giannantonio wins chaotic Barcelona race

Nurburgring 24 Hours: Mercedes win despite late failure for Verstappen Racing

Endurance
Nurburgring 24 Hours: Mercedes win despite late failure for Verstappen Racing

Ferrari insists focus on F1 title not drivers amid Raikkonen talk

Ferrari team principal Stefano Domenicali says a world championship fightback, and not his 2014 Formula 1 driver line-up, is all he cares about right now

Amid intense speculation about Kimi Raikkonen's future, Domenicali addressed his Maranello staff on Tuesday to make clear that who drives alongside Fernando Alonso next year is not important right now.

Instead, he urged each of his team members to do all they can to get Alonso and the team to the top of the championship standings.

Could Raikkonen rejoin Ferrari?

"We have spelt it out many times before: the driver topic is definitely not a priority," said Domenicali.

"What counts is to give them [Alonso and Felipe Massa] the best possible chance of finishing ahead of everyone and, in order to succeed, each and every one of us must do our job to the best of our ability on all levels.

"If they have a winning car in their hands, then I am convinced they will know how to win with it. If we all believe, then we can do it."

AUTOSPORT revealed earlier that Ferrari is not planning to give serious thought to its future driver situation until after the Italian Grand Prix next month - when the competitiveness of its car and Massa will be clearer.

Domenicali said that he shared Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo's sentiment from the start of the summer break that motivation and belief must be kept intact if Ferrari is to stop Sebastian Vettel taking a fourth consecutive world championship title.

"There is much talk outside the company regarding the future, but we must concentrate only on the present, on the fight for the championship," he said.

"The words of our president before the summer break must serve as a stimulus, because they were meant as the words of a good family father, who, first and foremost really roots for our team. Keep those words in mind and let's all pull together, starting in Spa."

EVERYTHING STILL TO PLAY FOR

Although Alonso trails Sebastian Vettel by 39 points in the drivers' championship, Domenicali told his staff there was every reason to believe the title was still possible.

"There is still everything to play for and we have gone through this before, as recently as last year," he explained.

"Nine races means that a total of 225 driver points are available and rest assured that the goals we set ourselves at the start of the season are still perfectly attainable.

"It's true we've gone through a difficult period, especially in July and now is the time to react in the way that Ferrari people know well.

"Our task is very simple: namely to give Fernando and Felipe the quickest car possible. Now, their contribution will be even more essential than ever."

He added: "I don't want to see any of you not believing in our fightback. Each one of you must be the link in a chain of positivity that must drive the team along in what is a key moment in the season.

"We are Ferrari and history teaches us that we must never accept we are beaten."

Previous article Mercedes: Lewis Hamilton's focus won't wilt
Next article Marussia: switch to Ferrari F1 2014 engines a "huge step forward"

Top Comments

Latest news