Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Title-winning BTCC Peugeot and Harvey in an MG among Touring Car Rewind: North highlights

National
Title-winning BTCC Peugeot and Harvey in an MG among Touring Car Rewind: North highlights

MotoGP Barcelona test: Acosta fastest as rain curtails running early

MotoGP
Barcelona Official Testing
MotoGP Barcelona test: Acosta fastest as rain curtails running early

Why this year's Indy 500 isn't as straightforward to call as you might expect

Feature
IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
Why this year's Indy 500 isn't as straightforward to call as you might expect

Will Mercedes or McLaren land the next punch at F1's Canadian GP?

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Will Mercedes or McLaren land the next punch at F1's Canadian GP?

The mental challenge Evans takes on at Rally Japan

WRC
Rally Japan
The mental challenge Evans takes on at Rally Japan

Why the Catalan GP chaos may finally force MotoGP riders to unite

Feature
MotoGP
Catalan GP
Why the Catalan GP chaos may finally force MotoGP riders to unite

Why Ford 'loves the V8 idea' in F1 amid changing road car strategy

Formula 1
Why Ford 'loves the V8 idea' in F1 amid changing road car strategy

What we learned from MotoGP's wretched Catalan GP

Feature
MotoGP
What we learned from MotoGP's wretched Catalan GP

Ferrari and FIA Deny Frustrated Stoddart's Request

Paul Stoddart conceded on Friday morning that his Minardi team may not be able to take part in the season-opening Australian Grand prix without a near-miraculous change of heart by Ferrari and the FIA. But the Australian vowed to continue applying pressure on his peers to allow his team to race this weekend.

Paul Stoddart conceded on Friday morning that his Minardi team may not be able to take part in the season-opening Australian Grand prix without a near-miraculous change of heart by Ferrari and the FIA. But the Australian vowed to continue applying pressure on his peers to allow his team to race this weekend.

Descending the stairs following a meeting with FIA officials, Stoddart said that his prospects were "bad, really bad" and that he was being "completely messed about by political games."

He said his proposed meeting with Jean Todt, the Ferrari chief whose signature is required to permit the Minardi team to run their cars this weekend at Albert Park in their 2004 bodywork, had been unproductive.

"Jean Todt told me he will not be signing a piece of paper from me at all, but that he would do so if it came officially from Charlie Whiting (of the FIA). We are just a victim of political games," he said.

As Stoddart considered his position, it was revealed by Max Mosley, the FIA president that "at least three teams would object to him running outside the regulations (which it is our job to enforce)."

Commenting in a press selease issued by the FIA on Friday morning, Mosley said: "Paul has known about the new bodywork regulations since 6 September 2004, in fact, his team voted for them that day in common with all the other teams.

"We understand that he has the latest bodywork in Melbourne even if he has not yet tested it fully. We also understand that at least three teams would object to him running outside the regulations (which it is also our job to enforce).

"If he decides not to run, we think it unlikely that the Melbourne organisers will seek compensation from him."

Stoddart himself was livid, but controlled when he spoke to reporters. "I am being messed about, completely messed about," he said. "Why people do this kind of things, I just don’t know. I got to Jean Todt after midnight when he arrived here and really it is all political games now."

He said he now expected to go "through the political games" before resolving the issue of whether to fit his cars with their new untested 2005 bodywork or to continue to fight the issue.

"I'm going to try and play the stupid game and hope we can try and get another document with signatures," the Australian said. "We've got to try and get the signatures. We don't want people to say 'if you'd ask me we would have signed'. We'll play the stupid game and let the politics ruin the racing as it's doing. You'll see Minardi cars not going out of the garage."

Minardi's drivers Chrstijan Albers, of Holland, and Austrian Patrick Freisacher would have been expected to be amongst the first on the track in the opening session but both remained in the garage as the team worked through their problems.

Previous article Ferrari, FIA against Minardi
Next article Friday First Free Practice - Australian GP

Top Comments

Latest news