Carmakers Stand Firm against Ecclestone

Five Formula One carmakers and seven of the 10 teams have signed a 'binding agreement' to stand firm in the battle with Bernie Ecclestone over the sport's commercial future

Carmakers Stand Firm against Ecclestone

The manufacturers are threatening to launch their own series from 2008 if they are not given far more of the revenues and issued a statement after meeting near Munich on Wednesday.

They said preparations for their series had moved forward, with consultants International Sports and Entertainment AG (iSe) instructed to advance negotiations with broadcasters, circuit owners and sponsors.

"The five manufacturers and the teams entered into a binding agreement to race together only in a series which satisfies the fundamental principles of a clear and equitable World Championship," the statement said.

"All teams not party to this agreement are encouraged to participate in a constructive process to form the premier motorsport series.

"Whilst the group remains open and willing to discuss with the commercial rights holder and the FIA on the future of Grand Prix motor racing beyond 2007, the current uncertainty leaves them with no option other than to progress preparatory work for the new series."

Ferrari, the current Champions, Jordan and Red Bull have already agreed with the governing FIA and Ecclestone's Formula One Management to extend the existing commercial agreement to 2012.

The current agreement expires at the end of 2007. The carmakers are BMW, DaimlerChrysler's Mercedes, Renault, Toyota and Honda.

More Money

Minardi, due to be taken over by Red Bull on November 1 after owner Paul Stoddart was bought out, attended the meeting and the Australian entrepreneur also signed the declaration.

The team are expected to leave the group of seven teams once they come under Red Bull's control.

The display of unity followed speculation that Williams, who are separating from engine partner BMW at the end of the season, and Japanese car giants Toyota could be about to break ranks and agree terms with Ecclestone.

Hopes had been raised that peace was at hand in the long-running power battle after all sides renewed dialogue over the FIA's proposed rule changes for 2008.

However, the carmakers said that, while recent meetings with FIA president Max Mosley had made some progress, it was "not sufficient to delay the preparation for the new series".

Renault's F1 team president Patrick Faure said in Brazil at the weekend that the plans for an alternative race calendar remained very much alive.

"You have the technical regulations, where we have a discussion with Max and the FIA, and we also have what is for us more important and that is the commercial negotiations with the banks, who are the owners of Formula One, and Bernie," he said.

"There is nothing decided yet. If needed, we will launch our Championship.

"Our target has been the same since the beginning, which is to say that we must give more money to the teams that are really organising the show and on this we will not compromise."

PREPARATION FOR NEW SERIES MOVES FORWARD 

Teams and manufacturers remain committed to improving the sport for spectators and other key stakeholders.
Long-term best interests of the sport come before a short-term compromise  
iSe to advance negotiations with key parties.

27 September 2005 - Today, a meeting between five major car manufacturers (BMW, DaimlerChrysler, Honda, Renault, Toyota) and seven teams (BAR, McLaren, Minardi, Renault, Sauber, Toyota, Williams) who currently participate in Formula One took place close to Munich.

The five manufacturers and their teams entered into a binding agreement to race together only in a series which satisfies the fundamental principles of a clear and equitable World Championship. All teams not party to this agreement are encouraged to participate in a constructive process to form the premier motor sport series.

Whilst the group remains open and willing to discuss with the current commercial rights holder and the FIA on the future of Grand Prix motor racing beyond 2007, the current uncertainty leaves them with no option other than to progress preparatory work for the New Series.

Although the team principals and manufacturers agreed that some progress was made in the recent meetings, they considered it was not sufficient to delay the preparations for the New Series. As a result, International Sports & Entertainment AG (iSe), the company that was appointed October 2004 as an operating partner for the alliance of teams and manufacturers, will advance strategic and commercial negotiations with key parties.

shares
comments
De la Rosa on Top at Jerez - Day Two

Previous article

De la Rosa on Top at Jerez - Day Two

Next article

Gene Continues at Paul Ricard

Gene Continues at Paul Ricard
Load comments

About this article

Series Formula 1
Author Alan Baldwin
The delay that quashed Aston Martin’s last F1 venture Plus

The delay that quashed Aston Martin’s last F1 venture

Aston Martin’s only previous foray into Formula 1 in the late 1950s was a short-lived and unsuccessful affair. But it could have been so different, says NIGEL ROEBUCK

Verstappen exclusive: Why lack of car-racing titles won't hurt Red Bull's ace Plus

Verstappen exclusive: Why lack of car-racing titles won't hurt Red Bull's ace

Max Verstappen’s star quality in Formula 1 is clear. Now equipped with a Red Bull car that is, right now, the world title favourite and the experience to support his talent, could 2021 be the Dutchman’s year to topple the dominant force of Lewis Hamilton and Mercedes?

Formula 1
Apr 9, 2021
Are we at peak F1 right now? Plus

Are we at peak F1 right now?

For many, many years Formula 1 has strived to do and to be better on all fronts. With close competition, a growing fanbase, a stable political landscape and rules in place to encourage sustainability, 2021 is on course to provide an unexpected peak

Formula 1
Apr 8, 2021
How crucial marginal calls will decide the Red Bull vs Mercedes battle in F1 2021 Plus

How crucial marginal calls will decide the Red Bull vs Mercedes battle in F1 2021

The longer Red Bull can maintain a performance edge over Mercedes, the better the odds will be in the team’s favour against the defending world champions. But as the Bahrain Grand Prix showed, many more factors will be critical in the outcome of the 2021 Formula 1 World Championship

Formula 1
Apr 7, 2021
How Williams’ new structure adheres to a growing F1 trend Plus

How Williams’ new structure adheres to a growing F1 trend

Williams held out against the tide for many years but, as MARK GALLAGHER explains, the age of the owner-manager is long gone

Formula 1
Apr 6, 2021
When a journeyman driver's F1 career lasted just 800m Plus

When a journeyman driver's F1 career lasted just 800m

Nikita Mazepin’s Formula 1 debut at the Bahrain Grand Prix lasted mere corners before he wiped himself out in a shunt, but his financial backing affords him a full season. Back in 1993 though, Marco Apicella was an F1 driver for just 800m before a first corner fracas ended his career. Here’s the story of his very short time at motorsport’s pinnacle

Formula 1
Apr 4, 2021
The nightmare timing that now hinders Mercedes Plus

The nightmare timing that now hinders Mercedes

Mercedes and Lewis Hamilton took victory at the Bahrain Grand Prix despite, for a change, not having the quickest car. But any hopes of developing its W12 to surpass Red Bull's RB16B in terms of outright speed could not have come at a worse time.

Formula 1
Apr 2, 2021
How Raikkonen's rapid rise stalled his team-mate's F1 career climb Plus

How Raikkonen's rapid rise stalled his team-mate's F1 career climb

Kimi Raikkonen’s emergence as a Formula 1 star in his rookie campaign remains one of the legendary storylines from 2001, but his exploits had an unwanted impact on his Sauber team-mate’s own prospects. Twenty years on from his first F1 podium at the Brazilian GP, here’s how Nick Heidfeld’s career was chilled by the Iceman

Formula 1
Apr 1, 2021