Button Still Excited about Rest of Season

Jenson Button says he is still excited about the rest of the season despite admitting that any chance he had of winning the World Championship this year has been destroyed by BAR's Imola disqualification and subsequent two-race FIA ban

Button Still Excited about Rest of Season

"The championship is pretty much gone," Button said in Barcelona, where he will remain tomorrow to carry out Paddock Club PR duties before leaving ahead of Sunday's race. "I had worked it out that I had to beat [Fernando] Alonso by two points at every race and I thought that was reasonable.

"But to come back from this is pretty much impossible. Ferrari will be strong for the rest of the year and I think we just need to show how strong a team we are.

"Three races ago I wouldn't have said we were on the verge of winning races or Championships but now I'd say we've got a car that has really improved over the last three or four weeks. And it will keep improving. This team is very good at bringing new parts to the car.

"I'm very excited about the rest of the season and by the time we get to Nurburgring the whole team will be champing at the bit and I can't wait to get out there."

After BAR's improvement in form at Imola, Button tested impressively at Mugello and is convinced that the team have front-running potential when they return after their ban. 

"I was staggered by the step forward that we had made," he explained. "The engineers were very excited too and I really thought that we could come to Barcelona and challenge for a win. So to get here and get the news was a real shock to everyone. Nobody expected that decision.

"Monaco will be a tough one for me - being there and not going out at what is such a spectacular event and basically my home Grand Prix."

Contrary to the feelings of most F1 technical men, FIA president Max Mosley said in Spain that he doubted either Button or BAR teammate Takuma Sato were aware of the workings of the illegal BAR fuel system.

Button himself refused to be drawn on the subject but said that the ban would not impact negatively on decisions over his future with the team.

"There's a lot more to be done before any decision is made," he said. "This sort of thing is not something that makes you want to walk away from a team. Everything that we have done has been within the limits."

Button denied that the ban might detract from his 2004 achievements if the perception is that BAR were running illegally last year too. 

"You could think that if we weren't going out on the circuit again," he conceded, "but as soon as we get to Nurburgring people will realise that it's not a bad car and that BAR is a very good team with a lot of exceptional people. I think the ban might even help motivation.

"It won't be a case of revenge but it will be nice to show how strong we are and that the pace is down to the team.

"The Championship might have gone but the aim this year was to win races and so we've got to stick with that and go for it - go to Nurburgring and destroy everyone."

shares
comments
Karthikeyan Confident of Progress
Previous article

Karthikeyan Confident of Progress

Next article

Coulthard Optimistic of Strong Weekend

Coulthard Optimistic of Strong Weekend
How Ferrari’s Monaco headache became its Silverstone migraine Plus

How Ferrari’s Monaco headache became its Silverstone migraine

OPINION: Ferrari won the British Grand Prix with Carlos Sainz, but it ultimately cost Charles Leclerc a chance to make a bigger dent in Max Verstappen's title lead by leaving the Monegasque out on old tyres towards the end. Like Monaco, indecision over strategy proved to be the Scuderia's biggest issue - and if the team doesn't reflect, the headache can only intensify

The five factors behind Sainz winning a British GP he’d twice lost Plus

The five factors behind Sainz winning a British GP he’d twice lost

Formula 1 has a newest race winner, in a grand prix the victor appeared to have lost twice, only to charge back to headline a sensational and dramatic British Grand Prix. From a massive start crash to a late sprint finish, here’s how five factors saw Carlos Sainz take his maiden grand prix win

Formula 1
Jul 4, 2022
Why there was no case to answer in Aston’s latest F1 copycat saga Plus

Why there was no case to answer in Aston’s latest F1 copycat saga

The appearance of a revised Aston Martin in Spain caused controversy but PAT SYMONDS explains why the FIA investigation found the Silverstone team had no case to answer

Formula 1
Jul 3, 2022
Why it's Red Bull that really leads a three-way fight so far at Silverstone Plus

Why it's Red Bull that really leads a three-way fight so far at Silverstone

After a slow start to Friday at Silverstone, all the Formula 1 teams had to effectively cram in a day’s worth of practice into one hour. But there was still plenty to learn and while Ferrari topped the times, a three-way battle is brewing ahead of the British Grand Prix

Formula 1
Jul 2, 2022
Why the future is bright for the British GP Plus

Why the future is bright for the British GP

It wasn’t so long ago the situation looked bleak at Silverstone with the future of the British Grand Prix under threat. But a transformation has seen it restored to one of the most important races on the Formula 1 calendar, with bigger and better to come

Formula 1
Jul 1, 2022
Could mixed fortunes for F1's leading Brits turn around at Silverstone? Plus

Could mixed fortunes for F1's leading Brits turn around at Silverstone?

For the first time in many years, none of the local racers starts among the favourites for the British Grand Prix. But George Russell, Lewis Hamilton and Lando Norris could have reasons for optimism

Formula 1
Jun 30, 2022
Verstappen exclusive: Why F1’s champion isn’t fazed by Silverstone return Plus

Verstappen exclusive: Why F1’s champion isn’t fazed by Silverstone return

Max Verstappen is the world’s number one racing driver… and he’s determined to keep it that way. Speaking exclusively to GP Racing's OLEG KARPOV, the Red Bull driver explains why he’s relishing the 2022 championship battle with Charles Leclerc – and why he’s not worried about returning to Silverstone, the scene of the biggest accident of his career last year

Formula 1
Jun 30, 2022
Why Red Bull’s RB17 hypercar can help its F1 team Plus

Why Red Bull’s RB17 hypercar can help its F1 team

On Tuesday, Red Bull laid out its plans to develop and build a new hypercar - the RB17 - penned by Adrian Newey. As the project itself sates Newey as a creative outlet, it also offers Red Bull's Formula 1 team a number of new and exciting avenues to pursue

Formula 1
Jun 29, 2022