Burti bites back over rumours
On the eve of his home Grand Prix, Luciano Burti has hit back over claims that he has just two races to prove he's worthy of his race seat at Jaguar
The Brazilian is rumoured to be facing the axe and set to be replaced by test driver Pedro de la Rosa by the Spanish Grand Prix if he doesn't improve his performance for the upcoming Brazilian and San Marino races.
But Burti has hit back by defending his performances in the opening races of the season and is adamant that he will race in all 17 grands prix this year.
"My contract with Jaguar Racing expires at the end of the season - not after the Brazilian Grand Prix," said Burti. "Certain media are criticising me for not performing well enough during the opening races, but look at Kimi Raikkonen and Juan Pablo Montoya - both of whom qualified around seven tenths of a second behind their team mates in Melbourne and Sepang. My performances have been no different relative to Eddie [Irvine]. I have started two races and finished two races so far this season."
Jaguar team boss Bobby Rahal gave his driver a measured vote of confidence ahead of the Brazilian GP.
"With regard to recent media speculation about the immediate future of Luciano, I can only reiterate my words from Malaysia in that Eddie and Luciano are our drivers."
Burti's best finish thus far was eighth place in the opening race in Melbourne and he's hoping to improve on that in Brazil on Sunday - despite the media frenzy concerning his career he expects to meet in Sao Paulo.
"I don't know Interlagos well as I've only ever raced there once in Formula Ford," he said. "When I was young, I remember watching races from the grandstand and to come back as a driver is something I can't wait for.
"I'm also anticipating a very busy weekend off the track dealing with media speculation concerning my future with Jaguar Racing. This is yet another example of media speculation gone wild. But my goal is to help improve the car and finish higher than we have managed so far."
Share Or Save This Story
Subscribe and access Autosport.com with your ad-blocker.
From Formula 1 to MotoGP we report straight from the paddock because we love our sport, just like you. In order to keep delivering our expert journalism, our website uses advertising. Still, we want to give you the opportunity to enjoy an ad-free and tracker-free website and to continue using your adblocker.
Top Comments