BRDC to 'Explore Other Avenues'
The British Grand Prix is still set to be wiped off next year's Formula One calendar after the track's owners failed to agree a rescue package at a board meeting on Thursday but said they would examine more options.
The British Grand Prix is still set to be wiped off next year's Formula One calendar after the track's owners failed to agree a rescue package at a board meeting on Thursday but said they would examine more options.
Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone wants to remove the British GP at Silverstone from next year's championship after talks with track owners the British Racing Drivers' Club (BRDC) broke down over financial terms and contract length.
The BRDC are looking for a two-year contract which would give them time to plan and secure the long term future of the British Grand Prix but Ecclestone has demanded a seven-year contract.
A BRDC statement said the organisation would explore further avenues in its bid to save the event. Britain staged the first World Championship Grand Prix in 1950.
"In the board meeting today we agreed to explore all other avenues by talking to teams, manufacturers and sponsors," BRDC president Jackie Stewart said.
Stewart added that he hoped support for the British Grand Prix would become clear when team principals meet Ecclestone on Friday in Sao Paulo before this weekend's Brazilian Grand Prix, the final race in this year's Championship.
Silverstone's owners are even interested in possibly staging a breakaway British Grand Prix next season which would seemingly have to take place outside of the Formula One World Championship.
"That would have attractions as we wouldn't have to pay the fees to Formula One, but there is nothing definite," Alex Hooton, chief executive of the BRDC, told BBC radio.
Earlier on Thursday lawyers for Ecclestone said he would sue Stewart for libel in the ongoing row.
Ecclestone was angered by comments Stewart made in a BBC radio interview on Wednesday where the former champion driver suggested Ecclestone had "reneged on alleged promises given to the (UK) Minister of Sport" which might have saved the race.
Share Or Save This Story
Subscribe and access Autosport.com with your ad-blocker.
From Formula 1 to MotoGP we report straight from the paddock because we love our sport, just like you. In order to keep delivering our expert journalism, our website uses advertising. Still, we want to give you the opportunity to enjoy an ad-free and tracker-free website and to continue using your adblocker.
Top Comments