Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Piastri "flattered" by rumours of Red Bull F1 interest

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Piastri "flattered" by rumours of Red Bull F1 interest

NASCAR great Kyle Busch dies at 41 after illness

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
NASCAR great Kyle Busch dies at 41 after illness

Verstappen: 2027 engine changes “definitely” help me stay in F1

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Verstappen: 2027 engine changes “definitely” help me stay in F1

Why Sainz believes F1 and FIA must be "tough" on 2027 changes

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Why Sainz believes F1 and FIA must be "tough" on 2027 changes

Hamilton "still motivated" and "100% clear" he will stay at Ferrari in 2027

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Hamilton "still motivated" and "100% clear" he will stay at Ferrari in 2027

It’s not overtaking, it’s “avoiding action" - why Alonso says F1 lost a full decade of “pure racing”

Formula 1
Canadian GP
It’s not overtaking, it’s “avoiding action" - why Alonso says F1 lost a full decade of “pure racing”

Williams signs key leaders from McLaren, Mercedes, Alpine

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Williams signs key leaders from McLaren, Mercedes, Alpine

Behind the scenes at Pirelli: The hidden factors that go into developing F1 tyres

Feature
Formula 1
Behind the scenes at Pirelli: The hidden factors that go into developing F1 tyres

BMW delighted over Sauber grid slot

BMW motorsport director Mario Theissen is delighted that the FIA's decision to grant Sauber the final slot on the Formula 1 grid means that the team can finally look forward to the future with optimism

Sauber's place in F1 had been in doubt ever since BMW announced that it was pulling out of the sport at the end of this year.

Matters were not helped by the collapse of a proposed takeover bid from investment company Qadbak, and the fact that Toyota's quitting of F1 did not automatically get Sauber in.

However, in the wake of Peter Sauber buying back the team, the FIA announced on Thursday that the Hinwil-based team's application to enter F1 had been accepted.

And Theissen, who is stepping down from his responsibilities with the team, said he was happy that he was leaving the outfit in good shape.

"We are delighted that the FIA has granted our team the 13th place on the grid," said Theissen. "It brings to a close a difficult period of uncertainty for us.

"The team can now turn its full attention to preparing for the forthcoming season. We have no doubt that Peter Sauber and his team will justify their nomination through good performance, and we wish them all every success in the future."

Previous article Remembering 1993's F1 young driver test
Next article Lotus boss to open Business Forum

Top Comments

Latest news