Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

F1 Canadian GP: Russell defeats Antonelli to Canada F1 sprint pole

Formula 1
Canadian GP
F1 Canadian GP: Russell defeats Antonelli to Canada F1 sprint pole

LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Russell takes sprint pole ahead of Antonelli

Formula 1
Canadian GP
LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Russell takes sprint pole ahead of Antonelli

Red Bull F1 team boss: "No intention behind" public meeting between Verstappen and Wolff

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Red Bull F1 team boss: "No intention behind" public meeting between Verstappen and Wolff

F1 compromise to make 2027 engine change could include shortening races

Formula 1
Canadian GP
F1 compromise to make 2027 engine change could include shortening races

Mercedes and McLaren debut host of updates at F1 Canadian GP

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Mercedes and McLaren debut host of updates at F1 Canadian GP

F1 Canadian GP: Antonelli fastest ahead of sprint qualifying, Russell spins

Formula 1
Canadian GP
F1 Canadian GP: Antonelli fastest ahead of sprint qualifying, Russell spins

What Kyle Busch meant to NASCAR and the modern fan

NASCAR Cup
Charlotte
What Kyle Busch meant to NASCAR and the modern fan

LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Practice extended after two red flags

Formula 1
Canadian GP
LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Practice extended after two red flags

Bernoldi to Drive for Arrows in 2002 (Updated)

Brazilian Enrique Bernoldi will stay with Arrows in 2002, the Formula One team announced on Friday.

Brazilian Enrique Bernoldi will stay with Arrows in 2002, the Formula One team announced on Friday.

Doubts remain, however, over who will partner the 23-year-old next season as the team added that their full line-up would be announced in the near future.

Jos Verstappen was confirmed halfway through last year for 2002 but the team did not mention him in Friday's statement. The Dutchman stood out last season for overtaking in the early laps and for ramming the Williams of Juan Pablo Montoya in the rear when the Colombian was leading only his third Formula One race in Brazil.

Verstappen also made it clear in 2001 that he did not rate Bernoldi as a teammate. Verstappen's situation has become more complicated since Germany's Heinz-Harald Frentzen was linked with the drive following Prost's financial problems.

Frentzen's manager Monte Field, who has had to deny speculation that Frentzen had already signed a deal, told Reuters that he was still talking to Arrows about a drive for next season.

"The Bernoldi announcement only confirms that Bernoldi will drive for Arrows," he said. Bernoldi is backed by Red Bull, Arrows' energy drink sponsor, and had been expected to stay with the team.

Quick Qualifier

"Enrique has proven himself to be very quick from the outset, particularly in qualifying where he has been our lead driver on 10 occasions," team boss Tom Walkinshaw said.

"What has impressed us most recently is his growing confidence in setting up the car and his race performances. I feel the investment in taking a rookie last season will be well rewarded when we give him a competitive package in 2002."

Bernoldi joined Arrows last year from Sauber where he was test driver. Red Bull were Sauber's title sponsor until the end of 2001.

"My first year in F1 was pretty tough but also very rewarding as I was able to make steady progress throughout the season," Bernoldi said.

The Brazilian's major influence on the season came in Monaco, when he held McLaren's title challenger David Coulthard up for half the race after the Briton had stalled on the grid when in pole position.

His behaviour was seen by many as a legitimate racing tactic but it incurred the wrath of McLaren boss Ron Dennis, who felt the Brazilian should have moved aside since he was not a Championship contender himself.

"I am grateful to Tom for having confidence in me and am looking forward to giving it 100 percent and making 2002 a success," Bernoldi said.

Arrows have yet to announce a date for the launch of their 2002 A23 car but said it would be completed by the end of January and would run in Britain before being taken to Spain for intensive testing. The team, who scored just one point last year and finished 10th overall, have switched from Asiatech engines to the same Cosworth ones used by Jaguar.

Previous article Webber Still Confident of Getting Minardi Seat
Next article Arrows to keep Bernoldi for 2002

Top Comments

Latest news