Alonso wants to give McLaren time before resolving his F1 future

Fernando Alonso expects his Formula 1 future to be resolved over the next few weeks, but is prepared to give McLaren time to sort its own situation first

Alonso wants to give McLaren time before resolving his F1 future

McLaren is set to announce on Friday that it will switch to Renault engines next year, and that change in supplier is believed to have been enough to convince Alonso to commit to a fresh deal with the team.

Despite some suggestions his new contract could be confirmed as early as this weekend's Singapore Grand Prix, the Spaniard said nothing had yet been finalised.

"There are options everywhere," Alonso told reporters about his future, "and they are all very good.

"You just need to be patient and wait a couple of weeks."

Alonso added he would only begin work on sorting his own future once McLaren's 2018 plans were made official.

"Whatever I do next year is because I want to win," he said.

"I will not be around in any series to be fighting for top 10 or top 15, anything like that.

"There are many options out there that I am studying and looking at.

"F1 is my first and only priority, so I will wait to make a decision on that before making decisions on other series.

"At the same time, I want to give time to my team.

"With some struggles we went through together, I want to have time together to make decisions, to see next year's car and after they take a decision, I will take mine.

"I want to stay loyal to them and not make any decisions without them first making their decisions.

"I am relaxed, happy, and we see what is happening in the next weeks."

Triple crown chance

Alonso remains clear that he wants to claim the triple crown of Monaco Grand Prix, Le Mans 24 Hours and Indianapolis 500 career victories and said that can still be achieved in the future despite calendar clashes.

He was forced to miss the Monaco Grand Prix earlier this year to contest the Indy 500 as both events took place on the same weekend.

"The triple crown is a clear target for me in the future," he said.

"There are three races there, if the Indy 500 is together with Monaco, there is another one still to compete.

"If I remain in F1 it is because I believe I can win next year, and that will ease the decision a lot because I will be in Monaco as I don't want to lose points there.

"The priority is F1 and winning there. The triple crown is three races, not Indy, so many, many possibilities to do a fantastic 2018."

shares
comments
The fresh hell facing Alonso's future

Previous article

The fresh hell facing Alonso's future

Next article

Palmer dismisses talk he'll lose Renault seat to Sainz for Malaysia

Palmer dismisses talk he'll lose Renault seat to Sainz for Malaysia
Load comments
The floundering fortunes of F1’s many Lotus reboots Plus

The floundering fortunes of F1’s many Lotus reboots

Team Lotus ceased to exist in 1994 - and yet various parties have been trying to resurrect the hallowed name, in increasingly unrecognisable forms, ever since. DAMIEN SMITH brings GP Racing’s history of the legendary team to an end with a look at those who sought to keep the flame alive in Formula 1

Why the 2021 title fight is far from F1's worst, despite its toxic background Plus

Why the 2021 title fight is far from F1's worst, despite its toxic background

OPINION: Formula 1 reconvenes for the Russian Grand Prix two weeks after the latest blow in ‘Max Verstappen vs Lewis Hamilton’. While the Silverstone and Monza incidents were controversial, they thankfully lacked one element that so far separates the 2021 title fight from the worst examples of ugly championship battles

How F1’s other champion to emerge from 1991 thrived at Lotus Plus

How F1’s other champion to emerge from 1991 thrived at Lotus

Mika Hakkinen became Michael Schumacher’s biggest rival in Formula 1 in the late-90s and early 2000s, having also made his F1 debut in 1991. But as MARK GALLAGHER recalls, while Schumacher wowed the world with a car that was eminently capable, Hakkinen was fighting to make his mark with a famous team in terminal decline

Formula 1
Sep 21, 2021
The forgotten F1 comeback that began Jordan’s odyssey  Plus

The forgotten F1 comeback that began Jordan’s odyssey 

Before Michael Schumacher – or anyone else – had driven the 191 (or 911 as it was initially called), Eddie Jordan turned to a fellow Irishman to test his new Formula 1 car. JOHN WATSON, a grand prix winner for Penske and McLaren, recalls his role in the birth of a legend…

Formula 1
Sep 20, 2021
The squandered potential of a 70s F1 underdog Plus

The squandered potential of a 70s F1 underdog

A podium finisher in its first outing but then never again, the BRM P201 was a classic case of an opportunity squandered by disorganisation and complacency, says STUART CODLING

Formula 1
Sep 18, 2021
The other notable Monza escape that F1 should learn from Plus

The other notable Monza escape that F1 should learn from

OPINION: The headlines were dominated by the Italian Grand Prix crash between Max Verstappen and Lewis Hamilton, who had the halo to thank for avoiding potentially serious injury. But two days earlier, Formula 1 had a lucky escape with a Monza pitlane incident that could also have had grave consequences

Formula 1
Sep 17, 2021
How Monza only added more questions to F1's sprint race conundrum Plus

How Monza only added more questions to F1's sprint race conundrum

With two sprint races under its belt, Formula 1 must now consider its options for them going forward. While they've helped deliver exciting racing on Sundays, the sprints themselves have been somewhat lacking - creating yet another conundrum for F1 to solve...

Formula 1
Sep 16, 2021
Who should Alfa Romeo sign for 2022's F1 season? Plus

Who should Alfa Romeo sign for 2022's F1 season?

OPINION: With Valtteri Bottas already signed up for 2022, all eyes are on the race for the second seat at Alfa Romeo next year. Antonio Giovinazzi is the current incumbent, but faces a tough competition from appealing short and long-term prospects

Formula 1
Sep 15, 2021