Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

Russell "lost for words" after heartbreaking Canadian GP exit

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Russell "lost for words" after heartbreaking Canadian GP exit

F1 Canadian GP: Antonelli lands F1 2026 blow as Russell retires in Montreal

Formula 1
Canadian GP
F1 Canadian GP: Antonelli lands F1 2026 blow as Russell retires in Montreal

Russell suffers dramatic exit from F1 Canada GP

Formula 1
Canadian GP
Russell suffers dramatic exit from F1 Canada GP

Rosenqvist wins 2026 Indy 500 in closest-ever finish

IndyCar
110th Running of the Indianapolis 500
Rosenqvist wins 2026 Indy 500 in closest-ever finish

BTCC Snetterton: Shedden sees off Sutton for race three win, Ingram charges to third

BTCC
Snetterton (300 Circuit)
BTCC Snetterton: Shedden sees off Sutton for race three win, Ingram charges to third

McLaren: Pirelli F1 tests will help Ferrari, Red Bull for rainy Canadian GP

Formula 1
Canadian GP
McLaren: Pirelli F1 tests will help Ferrari, Red Bull for rainy Canadian GP

BTCC Snetterton: Sensational Sutton strikes from 10th to win, disaster for Ingram

BTCC
Snetterton (300 Circuit)
BTCC Snetterton: Sensational Sutton strikes from 10th to win, disaster for Ingram

LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Antonelli leads as Russell and Norris among six retirees

Formula 1
Canadian GP
LIVE: F1 Canadian Grand Prix updates - Antonelli leads as Russell and Norris among six retirees

Alonso: Monaco Problems are Behind

Championship leader Fernando Alonso is convinced his Renault team will be competitive at the European Grand Prix

The Spanish driver, winner of three races this year, saw his streak of podium finishes end at the Monaco Grand Prix last weekend after struggling with tyre problems in the latter part of the race.

Alonso could only manage fourth place, which his team labelled as a miracle given the condition of his Michelin tyres.

The race was dominated by McLaren's Kimi Raikkonen, who scored his second consecutive victory to move into second place in the standings.

Alonso, however, believes Monaco was an exception and he expects Renault to be fighting at the top this weekend at the Nurburgring.

"The car is good and I don't think there is any reason why we should not be competitive here," said Alonso. "It's all okay, I have no worries. We took a risk in Monaco to win the race and that is a good example of how we are not thinking of the Championship.

"Sometimes you can win and sometimes not, when you cannot win, the best thing is second and if you cannot be second the best thing is third and so on. You have to manage the situations.

"It's true that McLaren won the last two but we won the first four so the car should be good enough to be quick here this weekend."

With rivals McLaren looking like the favourites at the moment, Alonso thinks his team could benefit from a return to form from Ferrari this weekend.

The World Champions have struggled so far this season, but are hoping a change to the qualifying system could help them fight at the top.

"We only saw one good race from them, that was Imola," he said. "If the races are like the first three they will not be in a position to win but if they are like Imola there will be a good fight.

"It's one more team in the first positions and maybe this helps us even more because if it can be between us, McLaren, Ferrari and BAR it is probably even better."

Previous article BAR Forced to Use Imola Engines
Next article Thursday's Press Conference - Europe

Top Comments