Williams is convinced that its tie-up with Cosworth will give it the chance to take on the very best in Formula 1, after issuing a statement confirming its switch to the independent supplier next year.
Following AUTOSPORT's report earlier this month that Williams was definitely switching to Cosworth, team principal Frank Williams told a journalist from the Gulf News ahead of the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix about the move.
And on Friday afternoon, Williams issued a statement announcing its plans and expressing its optimism about the benefits of a long-term tie-up with the Northampton-based engine maker.
Frank Williams said: "Cosworth have impressed us with the quality of their technical team and convinced us that their programme will deliver a competitive Formula 1 engine.
"In addition, like Williams, Cosworth is an independent company whose owners share our passion for racing and engineering. We believe that, working together, we will develop not only a competitive racing car for 2010 but also a long-term partnership that can take on the best in Formula 1."
Mark Gallagher, Cosworth's general manager of F1, added: "Cosworth is delighted to be renewing our partnership with Williams. We look forward to forging a long-standing relationship, not only for the supply of competitive Formula 1 engines, but also in the joint development of new technologies that have wider application outside of Formula 1."