The Italian MSC organisation, parent company of the N.Technology team, is taking the FIA to court in Paris over the new Formula 1 team selection process for 2010, AUTOSPORT has learned.
The N.Technology outfit had hoped to make it onto the grid next season but it withdrew its application in June after what it felt were 'irregularities' and uncertainties about the 2010 championship.
Those frustrations have now resulted in MSC applying to the Tribunal de Grande Instance in Paris last week for a legal hearing into the selection process for new teams. The team told AUTOSPORT that the judge accepted it had a valid case for a hearing, and the matter will now be heard on September 15.
MSC board member Angelo Codignoni, who is a former CEO of Eurosport, told AUTOSPORT: "We are doing this in the name of sport. From our point of view, the procedure for dealing with new entrants was not respected and there was not transparency about the process and preparations for the 2010 championship."
The MSC action follows claims that some of the rejected teams were unhappy about being told they needed to run Cosworth engines if their entry was going to be accepted.
AUTOSPORT understands that FOTA has also asked the FIA to clarify the team selection process, although team figures were keen not to get drawn into the controversy over the Nurburgring weekend.
McLaren team principal Martin Whitmarsh said: "FOTA clearly doesn't have a vote on the selection process, so consequently it is not right to have a voice on it.
"We were not involved in the selection process. I think FOTA's position is that we are very happy to see new teams. It is healthy to see new teams in F1, and if FOTA can assist any team to make a successful start in F1 then we should be doing so."