Skip to main content

Sign up for free

  • Get quick access to your favorite articles

  • Manage alerts on breaking news and favorite drivers

  • Make your voice heard with article commenting.

Autosport Plus

Discover premium content
Subscribe

Recommended for you

What we learned from the 2026 F1 Dutch GP sprint race and qualifying

Feature
Formula 1
Dutch GP
What we learned from the 2026 F1 Dutch GP sprint race and qualifying

Verstappen suffering from "flu-like" illness as Zandvoort exposes Red Bull's fundamental problems

Formula 1
Dutch GP
Verstappen suffering from "flu-like" illness as Zandvoort exposes Red Bull's fundamental problems

Why Verstappen's 2026 Mercedes contact was very different from last year's

Formula 1
Dutch GP
Why Verstappen's 2026 Mercedes contact was very different from last year's

F1 Dutch GP: Norris pips Russell to grab pole

Formula 1
Dutch GP
F1 Dutch GP: Norris pips Russell to grab pole

BTCC Donington Park: Morgan leads dominant 1-2 for Plato’s old team

BTCC
Donington Park (Grand Prix Circuit)
BTCC Donington Park: Morgan leads dominant 1-2 for Plato’s old team

Why Williams problems are worse than previously known

Feature
Formula 1
Dutch GP
Why Williams problems are worse than previously known

BTCC Donington Park: Ingram leads practice from Doble

BTCC
Donington Park (Grand Prix Circuit)
BTCC Donington Park: Ingram leads practice from Doble

LIVE: F1 Dutch GP updates - Norris beats Russell to pole position

Formula 1
Dutch GP
LIVE: F1 Dutch GP updates - Norris beats Russell to pole position

Ecclestone would abandon 2020 F1 season entirely if he was in charge

Bernie Ecclestone says he would abandon the 2020 Formula 1 season entirely if he was in charge of the sport now, rather than attempt to run a shortened calendar

The coronavirus pandemic has already led to F1 cancelling or postponing the first eight grands prix of the year, with the first scheduled race currently the Canadian GP on June 14.

But as doubts continue to escalate over F1 resuming even by the summer, its current CEO Chase Carey said earlier this week that he still believed he could pull together a calendar of up to 18 events.

Ecclestone says he would not even be trying that, and that he would have called off the entire 2020 campaign on safety grounds.

Speaking exclusively to news agency Reuters, he said: "Today what would I do? I think I'd have to say we're going to close down talk of having any races this year.

"That's the only thing you could do safely for everybody so nobody starts making silly arrangements which may not be able to happen."

Ecclestone said that while that situation seemed dramatic, it is what has had to happen to other major events like Euro 2020 and the Olympics.

"It's unfortunate but that's how it is," added Ecclestone.

Asked about Carey's suggestion of a calendar of 15-18 races, Ecclestone said: "I'd be very, very, very surprised if they managed to achieve that.

"I hope they do. I really hope they do. They could run three or four races at the beginning of next year and still count to the 2020 championship.

"The problem is where are you going to have them where the teams can go and the promoter wants to run a race.

"It's all very well making the calendar, which you can do while you wait. The big problem is getting the promoters to want to run the race."

Previous article F1 teams pool resources to assist UK government in coronavirus fight
Next article Biofuel cooling set to become key development avenue for new F1 cars

Top Comments