autosport.com
Search:
Find out more about our subscriptions
  AUTOSPORT+ LOGIN AUTOSPORT Plus  
Username:
Password:
F1 NEWS 

Bahrain chairman Zayed Al Zayani says 'scaremongering extremists' are the cause for alarm over the Sakhir event

BahrainBahrain Grand Prix chairman Zayed Al Zayani has blamed 'armchair observers' and 'scaremongering extremists' for creating alarm over the Sakhir event, which is due to go ahead on 22 April.

Amid increasing calls for Formula 1 not to race in the troubled Gulf state, the Sakhir venue issued a statement in which Al Zayani insisted that those with first-hand experience of conditions in Bahrain saw no reason for it to be called off for a second year.

"What has been happening is that armchair observers - who have not been sufficiently interested or committed to investigate the situation for themselves - have been driving this debate, at the expense of those neutral parties who have taken the trouble to investigate the situation at first hand," said Al Zayani.

"This, combined with the scaremongering tactics of certain small extremist groups on social networking sites, has created huge misconceptions about the current situation.

"We have welcomed a number of people to Bahrain over the last few weeks, who have all been able to find out for themselves that the Kingdom is ready to host Formula 1 next month. I therefore urge all stakeholders in the sport to listen to those with an informed, educated view of the situation and to form their views on the facts of the situation, as presented by neutral first-hand observers."

The statement quoted a report by two representatives of the Lotus F1 team who visited the circuit recently to assess the situation.

The extract from the Lotus report read: "Yes there is a need to keep the circuit and the teams secure and they are doing this and they feel very comfortable about the arrangements. If there is going to be protestation then it will be confined to peaceful protests - you will maybe see some banners being waved and maybe some tyres on fire but that is all that they expect.

"We came away from Bahrain feeling a lot more confident that everything is in hand and to be honest if it wasn't for a few more police you wouldn't know any difference from the last year we were there."

F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone told BBC Sport that he had spoken to the Lotus representative and been reassured.

"One of the teams sent a person over there recently - and I've spoken to them today actually - and they said everything's perfect, there's no problem," said Ecclestone. "They've been to the circuit, they've been everywhere in Bahrain and they are very happy."

Although Ecclestone acknowledged that he 'could not force the teams' to take part in the Bahrain GP, he said on Tuesday that at present he saw no reason for the race not to happen.

"At this time now, there are no indications it won't go ahead," he said.

"It's really not up to me to decide whether it should go ahead or not. It's up to the people in Bahrain to decide. At this time, they are not cancelling the event, so presumably they are happy."

Subs
  More news  
    advertisement
  RELATED LINKS
Read the AUTOSPORT Digital Edition
Visit the autosport.com shop
See highlights from 60 years of AUTOSPORT
  FOLLOW AUTOSPORT ON
FOLLOW AUTOSPORT ON TWITTER
Paddock insight from group F1 editor Jonathan Noble
Grand Prix news updates from F1 editor Edd Straw
Breaking news feed
Live commentary feed
  RELATED STORIES
Mercedes, McLaren accept FIA decision
Amnesty: Bahrain no better than 2011
Hill now fully behind Bahrain decision
FIA: Bahrain GP will go ahead
Human rights body warning over Bahrain
Button: F1 must stay united on Bahrain
Campaigner disputes Yates 'safe' claim
Webber: No choice but to trust FIA
Ecclestone insists Bahrain GP is on
FIA reassured Bahrain GP will be safe
FOTA says FIA must make Bahrain call
Ecclestone 'can't force' Bahrain choice
Sakhir boss: GP can help Bahrainis
Hill: F1 can't be 'indifferent' to Bahrain
MP says Bahrain GP should not go ahead
Hill calls for Bahrain GP rethink
Ecclestone trusts Bahrain will be safe
Bahrain secures fresh political backing
Horner: Teams trust FIA over Bahrain
Ecclestone: No fears over Bahrain GP
MP group says Bahrain should go ahead
FIA urged to drop the Bahrain GP
Team bosses trust FIA over Bahrain
Ecclestone still confident over Bahrain
Sakhir welcomes reinstated staff
Teams 'must trust' FIA over Bahrain GP
Bahrain downplays human rights worries
F1 teams asked to boycott Bahrain GP
Ecclestone hopes Bahrain goes ahead
Bahrain confident '12 race will happen
Teams concerned over Bahrain return
Ecclestone: Bahrain still paid for GP
Bahrain GP boss criticises F1 teams
Bahrain officially off 2011 calendar
Ecclestone made late Bahrain bid
FIA chronology on Bahrain GP
Bahrain set to be officially removed
Bahrain gives up on 2011 race
Bahrain affair 'damaging', say teams
FIA asks Ecclestone for new calendar
Parr says too late to change calendar
Ecclestone says Bahrain GP now unlikely
Gracia defends FIA's Bahrain report
FOTA requests delay to Bahrain return
Mosley: No chance Bahrain will go ahead
Ecclestone wants Bahrain GP rethink
FIA will still monitor Bahrain situation
Concerns mount over Sakhir decision
Mosley: Bahrain 'will cost F1 dear'
Webber critical of Bahrain decision
FIA reinstates Bahrain Grand Prix
Bahrain call 'nothing to do with money'
Dec 11 finale 'totally unacceptable'
Indian GP could move to December 11
Ecclestone hopes FIA reinstates Bahrain
Mallya: India would move for Bahrain
Brawn against December season finale
Boullier: Bahrain a hard decision
F1 ponders Dec 4 slot for Indian GP
Todt happy to give Bahrain more time
Ecclestone cautious on Bahrain decision
Q & A with Bahrain circuit chairman
Bahrain 'ready' to host Formula 1 race
Bahrain given extension until June
Bahrain Grand Prix talks continue
Bahrain wants F1 back 'in near future'
Ecclestone willing to give Bahrain time
Activists hope Bahrain is not reinstated
May deadline remains for Bahrain GP
Bahrain GP hopes suffer big blow
Bahrain decision to be taken in May
Ecclestone eyes November Bahrain date
Imola replaces Bahrain GP2 round
Bahrain GP decision set for this month
GP2 Asia hunts for substitute event
Date adjustment for final F1 test
Williams 'would've missed' Bahrain
Ecclestone aims to slot in Bahrain GP
GP2 Asia confirms Bahrain cancellation
FIA fully supports Bahrain decision
Bahrain hoping for swift F1 return
Barcelona to host final F1 test
Webber: Schedule change no big deal
Bahrain withdraws opening race
Monday deadline for test decision
F1 trivial in Bahrain situation - Webber
Ecclestone to let Bahrain judge safety
Travel warning increases Bahrain doubts
Extra test planned if Bahrain is cancelled
Teams will follow FIA, FOM on Bahrain
Ecclestone now cautious over Bahrain
Ecclestone 'more hopeful' on Bahrain GP
Ecclestone to act quickly on Bahrain
Bahrain pressing ahead with F1 plans
Bahrain GP2 Asia race cancelled
Bahrain GP concerns grow amid tension
Bahrain GP bosses promise safe event
Ecclestone concerned about Bahrain
Protesters target Bahrain Grand Prix
Haymarket