Click to view our fantastic subscription offers

Instant access to the F1 paddock

You have 10 views remaining

You have read 5 stories this month. After 15, you will need to register or subscribe.

Register with us for free to view 60 stories a month.

Or subscribe to AUTOSPORT+ for unlimited news stories and access to our exclusive subscriber-only content.

Our commitment to quality journalism

We've introduced metered access to AUTOSPORT which will ensure that the majority of our visitors can continue to view the site for free. But we think that is worth a small investment from those who use it most, so that we can continue to send the leading experts in their field to motor racing paddocks all over the world to break the latest news and produce the most compelling interviews and race reports.

Every visitor gets 15 free page views per month. Once you reach the limit you can register to get 60 views or choose one of our value-for-money subscription packages to continue viewing and to get additional access to a range of features including:

  • Unlimited access to AUTOSPORT with news and views from the paddock
  • Enjoy AUTOSPORT+: subscriber-only analysis, comment and top-quality pictures
  • Get AUTOSPORT magazine in a digital format on your computer or iPad every week
  • Full access to FORIX - the world's best motorsport statistics website

We greatly appreciate your continued support to keep AUTOSPORT at the forefront of motorsport coverage, and we look forward to welcoming you as a new subscriber.

Glenn Freeman Editor
Find out more about our subscriptions

Bernie Ecclestone: We can't force teams to race in Bahrain

Political unrest in the country lead to the cancellation of the Bahrain Grand PrixFormula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone has said that he cannot force teams to race in the Bahrain Grand Prix if they do not want to go, amid growing concerns over further unrest in the troubled Gulf state.

F1's teams have so far backed the FIA and the Sakhir circuit chiefs to make the right decision as to whether the event should take place on April 22, and to ensure the safety of attending personnel. However some teams are known to have concerns about racing in Bahrain at this time.

Ecclestone, who has reportedly met with protest leaders and proposed they hold a press conference on the weekend of the grand prix, told The Times on Monday that he sympathised with the teams' situation and said: "If the teams don't want to go, then we cannot make them."

According to Ecclestone, the decision to cancel or postpone the race must come from the FIA, the event organisers or the Crown Prince of the kingdom.

The fate of the Bahrain GP seems set to overshadow this weekend's race in China, with the FIA stating that it is closely monitoring the situation. Concerns heightened on Monday, when a homemade bomb was detonated at a protest in Manama - injuring seven policemen.

The incident came amid increased tension caused by the fate of jailed activist Abdulhadi Alkhawaja, who has been on hunger strike for two months.

Meanwhile, John Yates, a former assistant commissioner in the London Metropolitan Police Service who now works for Bahrain's Interior Ministry, has warned that protestors planning to disrupt the event's running would be dealt with harshly.

"If people want to protest lawfully and give proper notice, as they have to, then they will be allowed to protest," Yates told the Associated Press. "But you can't have a protest that shuts off every road and doesn't allow people to get to the grand prix circuit.

"If someone chooses to invade the circuit, what an incredibly stupid and reckless thing to do.

"You saw what happened in the Oxford-Cambridge Boat Race over the weekend. Anyone who invades the circuit is putting themselves in danger, putting the drivers in danger, putting potentially other spectators in danger. That will be clamped down on and properly so."

  More news  
Read the AUTOSPORT Digital Edition
Visit the shop
See highlights from 60 years of AUTOSPORT
Breaking news feed
Live commentary feed
Mercedes, McLaren accept FIA decision
Amnesty: Bahrain no better than 2011
Hill now fully behind Bahrain decision
FIA: Bahrain GP will go ahead
Human rights body warning over Bahrain
Button: F1 must stay united on Bahrain
Campaigner disputes Yates 'safe' claim
Webber: No choice but to trust FIA
Ecclestone insists Bahrain GP is on
FIA reassured Bahrain GP will be safe
FOTA says FIA must make Bahrain call
Bahrain chief blames 'scaremongering'
Sakhir boss: GP can help Bahrainis
Hill: F1 can't be 'indifferent' to Bahrain
MP says Bahrain GP should not go ahead
Hill calls for Bahrain GP rethink
Ecclestone trusts Bahrain will be safe
Bahrain secures fresh political backing
Horner: Teams trust FIA over Bahrain
Ecclestone: No fears over Bahrain GP
MP group says Bahrain should go ahead
FIA urged to drop the Bahrain GP
Team bosses trust FIA over Bahrain
Ecclestone still confident over Bahrain
Sakhir welcomes reinstated staff
Teams 'must trust' FIA over Bahrain GP
Bahrain downplays human rights worries
F1 teams asked to boycott Bahrain GP
Ecclestone hopes Bahrain goes ahead
Bahrain confident '12 race will happen
Teams concerned over Bahrain return
Ecclestone: Bahrain still paid for GP
Bahrain GP boss criticises F1 teams
Bahrain officially off 2011 calendar
Ecclestone made late Bahrain bid
FIA chronology on Bahrain GP
Bahrain set to be officially removed
Bahrain gives up on 2011 race
Bahrain affair 'damaging', say teams
FIA asks Ecclestone for new calendar
Parr says too late to change calendar
Ecclestone says Bahrain GP now unlikely
Gracia defends FIA's Bahrain report
FOTA requests delay to Bahrain return
Mosley: No chance Bahrain will go ahead
Ecclestone wants Bahrain GP rethink
FIA will still monitor Bahrain situation
Concerns mount over Sakhir decision
Mosley: Bahrain 'will cost F1 dear'
Webber critical of Bahrain decision
FIA reinstates Bahrain Grand Prix
Bahrain call 'nothing to do with money'
Dec 11 finale 'totally unacceptable'
Indian GP could move to December 11
Ecclestone hopes FIA reinstates Bahrain
Mallya: India would move for Bahrain
Brawn against December season finale
Boullier: Bahrain a hard decision
F1 ponders Dec 4 slot for Indian GP
Todt happy to give Bahrain more time
Ecclestone cautious on Bahrain decision
Q & A with Bahrain circuit chairman
Bahrain 'ready' to host Formula 1 race
Bahrain given extension until June
Bahrain Grand Prix talks continue
Bahrain wants F1 back 'in near future'
Ecclestone willing to give Bahrain time
Activists hope Bahrain is not reinstated
May deadline remains for Bahrain GP
Bahrain GP hopes suffer big blow
Bahrain decision to be taken in May
Ecclestone eyes November Bahrain date
Imola replaces Bahrain GP2 round
Bahrain GP decision set for this month
GP2 Asia hunts for substitute event
Date adjustment for final F1 test
Williams 'would've missed' Bahrain
Ecclestone aims to slot in Bahrain GP
GP2 Asia confirms Bahrain cancellation
FIA fully supports Bahrain decision
Bahrain hoping for swift F1 return
Barcelona to host final F1 test
Webber: Schedule change no big deal
Bahrain withdraws opening race
Monday deadline for test decision
F1 trivial in Bahrain situation - Webber
Ecclestone to let Bahrain judge safety
Travel warning increases Bahrain doubts
Extra test planned if Bahrain is cancelled
Teams will follow FIA, FOM on Bahrain
Ecclestone now cautious over Bahrain
Ecclestone 'more hopeful' on Bahrain GP
Ecclestone to act quickly on Bahrain
Bahrain pressing ahead with F1 plans
Bahrain GP2 Asia race cancelled
Bahrain GP concerns grow amid tension
Bahrain GP bosses promise safe event
Ecclestone concerned about Bahrain
Protesters target Bahrain Grand Prix