Ryan Hunter-Reay supports IndyCar's push-to-pass changes
|By Mark Glendenning
||Thursday, March 21st 2013, 07:41 GMT
IndyCar champion Ryan Hunter-Reay has backed the series' decision to remove the activation delay from the push-to-pass system.
The lag between the driver deploying push-to-pass and the system actually activating on the car was widely criticised last year, with drivers claiming that it was too unpredictable, and too prone to being accidentally disengaged in certain situations.
The series announced earlier this week that the delay will be removed for 2013.
"I'm definitely for no delay," said Hunter-Reay. "It looked like potentially, maybe at some point a good idea on paper, but when you actually applied the process in the race car it was a mess. It was just not right.
"You have to get to a certain throttle position, and if you lift out of it when you're coming out of the corner, if you get wheel spin, just because you're driving aggressively, then it could cancel out the request.
"We just had a nightmare with it, so this is going to be good; we are going to have good push-to-pass. We are going to have that extra boost when we need it to create great racing.
"We already have good racing when we are not using push-to-pass, so it will be exciting"
Last year's championship runner-up Will Power, who was one of the most vocal critics of the activation delay, echoed his rival's sentiments about the change.
"The delay really, really was just hard to predict," he said. "I think it will be much easier to use. It was really hard to know when to hit the button and then it you lifted off the throttle it would disengage.
"I think it's definitely going to be better to use like this."