Shane van Gisbergen claims first pole of new V8 Supercars era
||Friday, March 1st 2013, 07:35 GMT
Shane van Gisbergen claimed pole position for his new Tekno Autosports team as V8 Supercars' new era commenced with qualifying in Adelaide.
Van Gisbergen reappeared with Tekno for the 2013 season just months after announcing he was quitting the sport when he parted with previous team Stone Brothers, which has since threatened him with legal action.
Shane van Gisbergen and motor racing's shortest retirement
The pre-qualifying session ended with van Gisbergen and Triple 8's Craig Lowndes tied for the fastest time.
That gave them the final slots for the top 10 shootout, in which van Gisbergen managed a 1m21.3595s to pip Ford Performance Racing's Mark Winterbottom by 0.0480 seconds, while Lowndes had to settle for third.
Reigning champion Jamie Whincup was slightly slowed by oversteer as he took fifth behind Fabian Coulthard.
Tekno's strong start was completed by Jonathon Webb putting the second car sixth, ahead of FPR man Will Davison.
After a troubled 2012, Garry Rogers Motorsport began '13 in encouraging form. Alexandre Premat qualified a breakthrough eighth, while rookie team-mate Scott McLaughlin took 10th for his debut, the duo split by James Courtney.
Another rookie, Scott Pye, only just missed out on the shootout.
The new teams got off to a quiet start. Michael Caruso was the top Nissan man in 13th, and Mercedes duo Lee Holdsworth and Tim Slade will share row 12.
The third Mercedes of Maro Engel ended up at the back of the grid after causing a red flag with a fire and a spin.
Pos Driver Team/Car Time Gap
1. Shane van Gisbergen Tekno Holden 1m21.3595s
2. Mark Winterbottom FPR Ford 1m21.4075s + 0.0480s
3. Craig Lowndes Triple 8 Holden 1m21.4453s + 0.0858s
4. Fabian Coulthard Brad Jones Holden 1m21.4852s + 0.1257s
5. Jamie Whincup Triple 8 Holden 1m21.5258s + 0.1663s
6. Jonathon Webb Tekno Holden 1m21.5916s + 0.2321s
7. Will Davison FPR Ford 1m21.6558s + 0.2963s
8. Alexandre Premat Garry Rogers Holden 1m21.7859s + 0.4264s
9. James Courtney HRT Holden 1m22.1825s + 0.8230s
10. Scott McLaughlin Garry Rogers Holden 1m22.2235s + 0.8640s
11. Scott Pye Dumbrell Holden 1m21.5084s Qual 1
12. Russell Ingall Walkinshaw/HRT Holden 1m21.6164s Qual 1
13. Michael Caruso Nissan 1m21.6701s Qual 1
14. James Moffat Nissan 1m21.6903s Qual 1
15. Dean Fiore Dumbrell Holden 1m21.6930s Qual 1
16. Alex Davison Schwerkolt/FPR Ford 1m21.7393s Qual 1
17. Todd Kelly Nissan 1m21.7477s Qual 1
18. Garth Tander HRT Holden 1m21.7832s Qual 1
19. Rick Kelly Nissan 1m21.8651s Qual 1
20. Jason Bright Brad Jones Holden 1m21.8754s Qual 1
21. David Reynolds Rod Nash/FPR Ford 1m21.9048s Qual 1
22. Tony D'Alberto D'Alberto Holden 1m21.9709s Qual 1
23. Lee Holdsworth Erebus Mercedes 1m22.1206s Qual 1
24. Tim Slade Rosenberg/Erebus Mercedes 1m22.2518s Qual 1
25. Tim Blanchard Dick Johnson Ford 1m22.2749s Qual 1
26. David Wall Britek/BJR Holden 1m22.2837s Qual 1
27. Jonny Reid Dick Johnson Ford 1m22.8720s Qual 1
28. Maro Engel Erebus Mercedes 1m23.2133s Qual 1