McLaren's Alonso cleared for Chinese GP FP1, more tests to follow

Fernando Alonso has been given permission to participate in Chinese Grand Prix first practice, but will undergo further tests afterwards to determine his eligibility for the remainder of the weekend

McLaren's Alonso cleared for Chinese GP FP1, more tests to follow

After fracturing a rib in the Australian GP, Alonso then sat out the subsequent Formula 1 grand prix in Bahrain on medical advice.

Further tests followed at the Shanghai International Circuit medical centre on Thursday morning, and following a lengthy wait the two-time world champion has been given provisional dispensation to drive in FP1.

A statement from the FIA read: "Since the accident at the Australian Grand Prix, McLaren Honda Formula 1 Team driver Fernando Alonso has been undergoing the process of 'reintegration' in accordance with Chapter II of Appendix L of the International Sporting Code.

"McLaren Honda have applied for Alonso to participate in the 2016 Chinese Grand Prix.

"As the injury to the driver was discovered some days after the Australian Grand Prix, the reintegration does not strictly fall within the text of the Appendix.

"Therefore, the Stewards have taken advice from the FIA Medical Delegate (Jean-Charles Piette), who in consultation with the Chief Medical Officer (CMO) of the Chinese Grand Prix, and the driver's doctors advise, that he considers the driver provisionally fit to take part in the event.

"Given the exceptional circumstances, and having heard from the team, the Stewards have decided to exempt the driver from strict compliance with Art. 3(b) of Chapter II of Appendix L, relying instead on Art. 3(a),which has been satisfied.

"Therefore driver Fernando Alonso will be allowed to participate, subject to the provision below.

"The driver has been given directions by the FIA Medical Delegate and CMO which he is to follow (Art. 12.1.1.i of the International Sporting Code.)

"Further, in accordance with Art. 22.14 of the Formula One Sporting Regulations, he is instructed by the FIA Medical Delegate and CMO to undergo a further examination immediately following FP1 to determine his further eligibility to take part in the remainder of the event."

Prior to the FIA statement, Alonso proclaimed himself to be ready as he said: "I feel good. I feel OK.

"In Bahrain I was mentally 100 per cent ready to race physically, but I had a lot of pain. I was ready to try to at least see if the pain was manageable with the broken rib.

"The situation has improved a lot and mentally I am 120 per cent now, but physically I am 100 per cent with no pain in the last couple of days.

"I have been training with the normal routine for the past two weeks - running, bicycle, golf, tennis, many a sport that was a big change in terms of this race to be a little more ready and fit.

"I did sleep for the last two weeks as well because for the first 10 days after Australia I could only sleep on one side so that was not really comfortable.

"But from Bahrain to here, a big improvement. I feel good."

shares
comments
Sebastian Vettel says Ferrari F1 engine failure not a problem
Previous article

Sebastian Vettel says Ferrari F1 engine failure not a problem

Next article

Chinese Grand Prix Thursday FIA Formula 1 press conference

Chinese Grand Prix Thursday FIA Formula 1 press conference
Load comments
What the FIA must do to restore F1’s credibility Plus

What the FIA must do to restore F1’s credibility

OPINION: The first stage of the 2022 Formula 1 pre-season is just over a month away, but the championship is still reeling from the controversial results of last year’s finale. The FIA acknowledges F1 has had its reputation dented as a result, so here’s how it could go about putting things right

The six F1 subplots to watch in 2022 as a new era begins Plus

The six F1 subplots to watch in 2022 as a new era begins

As Formula 1 prepares to begin a new era of technical regulations in 2022, Autosport picks out six other key elements to follow this season

Formula 1
Jan 24, 2022
Why newly-retired Raikkonen won't miss F1 Plus

Why newly-retired Raikkonen won't miss F1

After 349 grand prix starts, 46 fastest laps, 21 wins and one world championship, Kimi Raikkonen has finally called time on his F1 career. In an exclusive interview with Autosport on the eve of his final race, he explains his loathing of paddock politics and reflects on how motorsport has changed over the past two decades

Formula 1
Jan 23, 2022
Unpacking the technical changes behind F1 2022's rules shakeup Plus

Unpacking the technical changes behind F1 2022's rules shakeup

Formula 1 cars will look very different this year as the long-awaited fresh rules finally arrive with the stated aim of improving its quality of racing. Autosport breaks down what the return of 'ground effect' aerodynamics - and a flurry of other changes besides - means for the teams, and what fans can expect

Formula 1
Jan 21, 2022
Why new era F1 is still dogged by its old world problems Plus

Why new era F1 is still dogged by its old world problems

OPINION: The 2022 Formula 1 season is just weeks away from getting underway. But instead of focusing on what is to come, the attention still remains on what has been – not least the Abu Dhabi title decider controversy. That, plus other key talking points, must be resolved to allow the series to warmly welcome in its new era

Formula 1
Jan 20, 2022
The Schumacher trait that will give Haas hope in F1 2022 Plus

The Schumacher trait that will give Haas hope in F1 2022

Mick Schumacher’s knack of improving during his second season in a championship was a trademark of his junior formula career, so his progress during his rookie Formula 1 campaign with Haas was encouraging. His target now will be to turn that improvement into results as the team hopes to reap the rewards of sacrificing development in 2021

Formula 1
Jan 19, 2022
The “glorified taxi” driver central to F1’s continued safety push Plus

The “glorified taxi” driver central to F1’s continued safety push

As the driver of Formula 1’s medical car, Alan van der Merwe’s job is to wait – and hope his skills aren’t needed. JAMES NEWBOLD hears from F1’s lesser-known stalwarts

Formula 1
Jan 15, 2022
When BMW added F1 'rocket fuel' to ignite Brabham's 1983 title push Plus

When BMW added F1 'rocket fuel' to ignite Brabham's 1983 title push

There was an ace up the sleeve during the 1983 F1 title-winning season of Nelson Piquet and Brabham. It made a frontrunning car invincible for the last three races to see off Renault's Alain Prost and secure the combination's second world title in three years

Formula 1
Jan 13, 2022