Mateschitz against Red Bull team orders

Red Bull boss Dietrich Mateschitz says he would prefer any of his drivers to finish in second place in the championship before imposing team orders

Mateschitz against Red Bull team orders

The team has refused to throw its weight behind Mark Webber this season, despite the Australian having been in a stronger position than team-mate Sebastian Vettel in the latter part of the season.

Vettel won the Brazilian Grand Prix on Sunday, finishing ahead of Webber and championship leader Fernando Alonso.

The result meant Alonso will clinch the title in the season finale in Abu Dhabi by finishing in second if Vettel wins.

Despite the team's position benefiting Alonso, Mateschitz says imposing team orders was never a possibility, and he claims he would prefer his drivers to lose out "under the correct circumstances".

"To interfere with the drivers was never a possibility for us," said Mateschitz. "The whole world condemned Ferrari after what they did in Hockenheim, but we have turned out as idiots because we did not act in this way.

"We never even thought about it as long as both our drivers remain in the hunt for the championship.

"It is not assured that Alonso will always be the lucky one. Abu Dhabi will be incredibly exciting and provide highest tension.

"Sunday night we will know if we clinched the other 50 percent and have been successful or not. A second place under correct circumstances might be better than a win on grounds of orders and confirmations."

Mateschitz admitted that clinching the constructors' championship was an enormous satisfaction, but he is still hopeful of achieving the other "50 per cent" of their goals.

"There was so much at stake. You never know what happens," he added. "And anything can happen until the end as we learnt just recently. It is a wonderful, sensational feeling to have won the constructors' title. We consequently worked on this for five years now and we are all glad it happened.

"This championship means satisfaction and joy for us. We missed out by a whisper last year, now it worked. But we have only achieved 50 percent of our goal. The other 50 percent hopefully will emerge next Sunday".

shares
comments
Renault remains committed to F1

Previous article

Renault remains committed to F1

Next article

Trulli rubbishes Lotus exit rumours

Trulli rubbishes Lotus exit rumours
Load comments
The squandered potential of a 70s F1 underdog Plus

The squandered potential of a 70s F1 underdog

A podium finisher in its first outing but then never again, the BRM P201 was a classic case of an opportunity squandered by disorganisation and complacency, says STUART CODLING

The other notable Monza escape that F1 should learn from Plus

The other notable Monza escape that F1 should learn from

OPINION: The headlines were dominated by the Italian Grand Prix crash between Max Verstappen and Lewis Hamilton, who had the halo to thank for avoiding potentially serious injury. But two days earlier, Formula 1 had a lucky escape with a Monza pitlane incident that could also have had grave consequences

Formula 1
Sep 17, 2021
How Monza only added more questions to F1's sprint race conundrum Plus

How Monza only added more questions to F1's sprint race conundrum

With two sprint races under its belt, Formula 1 must now consider its options for them going forward. While they've helped deliver exciting racing on Sundays, the sprints themselves have been somewhat lacking - creating yet another conundrum for F1 to solve...

Formula 1
Sep 16, 2021
Who should Alfa Romeo sign for 2022's F1 season? Plus

Who should Alfa Romeo sign for 2022's F1 season?

OPINION: With Valtteri Bottas already signed up for 2022, all eyes are on the race for the second seat at Alfa Romeo next year. Antonio Giovinazzi is the current incumbent, but faces a tough competition from appealing short and long-term prospects

Formula 1
Sep 15, 2021
The "forced break" that was key to Ricciardo's Monza excellence Plus

The "forced break" that was key to Ricciardo's Monza excellence

OPINION: Daniel Ricciardo has long been considered one of Formula 1’s elite drivers. But his struggles at McLaren since switching from Renault for 2021 have been painful to watch at times. Yet he’s recovered to banish those memories with a famous Monza win – built on a critically important foundation

Formula 1
Sep 14, 2021
How Verstappen is ruining his F1 title battle with Hamilton Plus

How Verstappen is ruining his F1 title battle with Hamilton

OPINION: The Italian GP clash between Lewis Hamilton and Max Verstappen followed a running theme in the 2021 Formula 1 title fight. Their close-quarters battles have often resulted in contact - and although Hamilton has shown a willingness to back off, Verstappen must learn to temper his aggression

Formula 1
Sep 14, 2021
Italian Grand Prix Driver Ratings Plus

Italian Grand Prix Driver Ratings

Two drivers produced maximum-score performances as, for the second year in a row, Monza threw up an unpredictable result that left several others ruing what might have been

Formula 1
Sep 13, 2021
Why Ricciardo was set for Monza F1 triumph even without Verstappen/Hamilton crash Plus

Why Ricciardo was set for Monza F1 triumph even without Verstappen/Hamilton crash

The clash between Max Verstappen and Lewis Hamilton was the major flashpoint the 2021 Italian Grand Prix will be remembered for. Yet by this point, race leader Daniel Ricciardo had already done the hard work that would put him in position to end his and McLaren's lengthy win droughts, on a memorable afternoon in Monza

Formula 1
Sep 13, 2021