The noise was not one normally associated with the service park. It ranged from the gentle exhaling of breath to a cacophonous crescendo not dissimilar to the audible effect of a cat being strangled.
Sleeping was going on across the service park, in the middle of the afternoon on Saturday. The top of one of the M-Sport trucks had been converted to a dorm containing 28 shut-eyed mechanics.
To continue reading this feature, subscribe to Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus subscription includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.