For some, last week's failed 'megaphone' exhaust test conducted by Mercedes was more evidence of Formula 1 shooting itself in the foot.
Having finally let the racing do the talking to prove that the new regulations had not diminished the racing spectacle, F1 was on the receiving end of fresh mockery thanks to a contraption that would not have looked out of place in Wacky Races.
Yet while the japes - which even included one from Nico Rosberg, who tweeted a photoshopped image of Louis Armstrong playing the trumpet out of the back of his car - might have been unwelcome, they will hopefully act as a catalyst to end the nonsense on noise.
To continue reading this feature, subscribe to Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus subscription includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.