"It's absolute rubbish when drivers say 'we're concentrating on ourselves'. That's crap. It's important to do your own programmes, but you look at the laptimes and you see what people are doing over a longer run. It's stupid not to."
So says Jenson Button, now the most seasoned old-hand in Formula 1, who has been through more pre-season 'phony wars' than any other driver on the grid.
For all the talk of reliability and mileage (and don't get me wrong, that sort of focus is probably more important than ever given the unprecedented regulations overhaul for this season), speed still matters. Laptimes matter. The lie detector (the stopwatch) is always running...
To continue reading this feature, join Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus membership includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.