There has been much bluster about the pace of this new breed of Formula 1 car since the new, smaller-engined, energy-efficient formula broke cover at Jerez two weeks ago.
Fickle fans have bemoaned the loss of screaming, sonorous V8s for quieter, turbocharged V6s. But worse, the cars are too slow! Or so some think...
The concurrent changes to the aerodynamic regulations for 2014 have made the front wingspans narrower and robbed the cars of potent, exhaust-blown rear downforce.
To continue reading this feature, join Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus membership includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.