Formula 1 had been bracing itself for a character-building start to testing at Jerez in Spain, but few had expected the kind of day we were eventually treated to.
The talk over the winter months had been of a reliability bloodbath in Spain; of frequent red flags and blown engines.
One senior technical figure even jokingly suggested pre-Christmas that there should be a sweepstake for the number of cars that actually managed to complete an installation lap on day one.
To continue reading this feature, subscribe to Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus subscription includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.