In part three of his series on Formula 1's 2014 technical rules revolution, Craig Scarborough looks at the implications of the changes for F1 gearbox design.
With gearbox layouts static for a couple of decades since the introduction of seamless shift technology, Formula 1 gearbox design has been evolutionary for many years.
Even the rise of engine power and RPM has failed to inject major new demands into transmission design.
To continue reading this feature, subscribe to Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus subscription includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.