If you go by the numbers, the 2013 IndyCar championship was decided partly by Scott Dixon's phenomenal late-season charge, and partly by Helio Castroneves's Houston disaster.
It was a season in which the tea leaves rarely revealed what was coming. Ten different winners, Takuma Sato leading the points after Brazil yet ending up 17th, Castroneves battering everyone with a blend of pace and freakish consistency, only to have his gearbox crack in Houston.
IndyCar 2013. You couldn't make it up.
To continue reading this feature, join Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus membership includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.