Juan Pablo Montoya spent just two years on the American single-seater scene first time around, but that was long enough to create a legend.
The speed and style with which he mastered the CART World Series, oval racing and even the toughest speedway of them all at Indianapolis left his United States rivals convinced that the Colombian would go on to be an all-time great in Formula 1.
It didn't quite work out that way, and perhaps Montoya's aggression and temperament were always better suited to the rougher-round-the-edges nature, atmosphere and venues of US racing.
Following the shock news that Penske had completed a deal to bring the Colombian back to single-seaters, AUTOSPORT picks the 10 key moments from when Montoya took the US by storm in 1999-2000.
To continue reading this feature, subscribe to Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus subscription includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.