Felipe Massa might have been offered words of encouragement from Rubens Barrichello about there being life after Ferrari, but what chance has he got of securing the competitive seat he so desires?
When Barrichello quit the Scuderia at the end of 2005, it was done on his terms: he was fed up of life in Michael Schumacher's shadow so had gone out and secured a Honda contract.
Although that move brought some initial frustrations as the Japanese manufacturer struggled, it eventually offered him another chance at the title when he fought hard with Jenson Button at Brawn GP in 2009.
To continue reading this feature, subscribe to Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus subscription includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.