FIA, FIFA, FINA, FIS - there hardly exists an alphabetic letter (or two) not appended to the abbreviation for Federation International to denote an international sporting body of some genre or other.
True, the International Olympic Committee does without 'F', but then the IOC caters for various physical sports on a quadrennial basis, rather than being an individual sporting discipline.
However, what sets the Federation Internationale de l'Automobile - and its two-wheel FIM counterpart - apart from the balance of acronymic organisations is that the FIA (est. 1904) is not purely a sporting authority, but represents the full spectrum of four-wheel activities across the globe.
To continue reading this feature, join Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus membership includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.