At Jerez on December 4 2007, Nico Hulkenberg had his first test in a Formula 1 car with Williams.
His two days of running in the Toyota-engined machine were enough to convince Williams to sign him as a junior driver, laying the foundations for his rise to grand prix racing.
Hulkenberg's engineer that day was Tom McCullough, who continued to work with the German throughout his testing duties with Williams. When Hulkenberg was promoted to a race seat for 2010, it was McCullough who saw him through his rookie season.
To continue reading this feature, subscribe to Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus subscription includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.