Practice one - Friday am
Jenson Button was quickest in first practice for the Japanese Grand Prix © LAT
The wry smile on Sebastian Vettel's face at the end of the first free practice session for the Japanese Grand Prix gave you all the indication you might need as to where Red Bull was in terms of pace.
The world champion was only 17th fastest and nearly two seconds slower than the session pacesetter Jenson Button, and yet there was something about the poise of the RB8 on track that had one thinking it might be the car to beat through the weekend.
To continue reading this feature, subscribe to Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus subscription includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.