"We have to make some sacrifices, and success in 2013 is exactly what we're working for."
That was Mat Jackson's verdict after giving the untested new-spec NGTC Ford Focus of Motorbase Performance its race debut at Snetterton last month.
Armed with the old Super 2000 Focus, he fought for the title in 2011 and has been a race winner this term, but Jackson and his team believed they needed a new car to take on multiple champions Jason Plato and Matt Neal.
The bigger tyres and brakes of the NGTC machines, not to mention the chance to develop a car from scratch, should give Motorbase the chance to battle works squads MG and Honda on a more equal footing. The rest of this season is, therefore, being used to get up to speed so that Jackson can hit the ground running in 2013.
To continue reading this feature, subscribe to Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus subscription includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.