Practice one - Friday am
In a pretty much drama-free session, Pastor Maldonado began to show Williams was back on form after two poor races in Monaco and Canada, the Venezuelan putting his car on top of the times in opening practice.
Maldonado started the weekend on top © LAT
The Williams driver set his best time around the halfway point and the benchmark remain unbeaten until the chequered flag, proof that the teams were more focused on trying to unlock the secrets of the tyres in what was always going to be a tough weekend given the heat.
To continue reading this feature, subscribe to Autosport Plus today.
Are you an Autosport magazine subscriber? Activate your online account
- Your Autosport Plus subscription includes:
- Unlimited access to Autosport's news - no monthly cap.
- Read the best motorsport features, analysis and opinion.
- Explore Forix, our comprehensive motorsport stats database.
- Choose from a monthly or yearly membership.