Volkswagen hopes WRC presence attracts global commercial interest
|By David Evans||Thursday, May 17th 2012, 15:04 GMT|
Volkswagen motorsport director Jost Capito is confident the German firm's presence in the World Rally Championship will help attract more global commercial interest in the series.
Capito, who had been working for Ford in America before returning to Europe to take over from Kris Nissen, admitted he had followed the WRC's troubled time closely, but added that he was confident the championship was over the worst.
"It's time to wake the sleeping lion," said Capito. "Volkswagen coming [to WRC] will boost the championship a lot. Volkswagen will do everything needed for the WRC and it will help in other ways, by boosting sponsorship, bringing the media back and other partners - it will help in bringing the television back. There is an issue with the promoter, we all know about that."
Capito added that the calendar remained key to getting the WRC's books balanced.
"Keeping the logistical costs [in check] are key, nobody gets anything out of that money spent, so we need to make sure that the right rally follows the right rally," he said.
He confirmed that Volkswagen would be backing a Brazilian round of the WRC, adding: "Brazil is a very important market for VW, so it would be good to have an event in Brazil, but it has to be right too for the security side, the safety side and everything.
"But, in principle, Brazil is a very important market and it would be good if we could get Brazil to fit into the calendar."