Jari-Matti Latvala puts Monte Carlo Rally crash behind him
|By David Evans||Tuesday, January 24th 2012, 11:40 GMT|
Ford driver Jari-Matti Latvala says he has put his Monte Carlo Rally shunt behind already, with his focus now firmly fixed on next month's Rally Sweden.
Latvala crashed out of the lead of last week's Monte Carlo Rally and was the big loser from the WRC opener, picking up no points because of the event organiser's decision not to run the re-entry regulations known as Rally 2.
He has vowed to move on, however, and focus entirely on the next event in Sweden.
Speaking to AUTOSPORT, Latvala said: "Obviously, it wasn't the start we wanted, but luckily we will have a good test coming up, the week before Sweden. Before that, I'm going to be at home and forgetting about rallying and everything that happened [in Monte Carlo].
"After that, I will start to get ready again and think only to Sweden. I will get the good feeling from the car at the test and move forward from there. I will feel better when I get to the snow and the more normal conditions."
Ford team principal Malcolm Wilson added that he had no fears for Latvala's pace or confidence moving forward from the Monte.
"If we ere going to another rally with difficult, changeable conditions like Monte Carlo then you would expect him to drive more conservatively," said Wilson, "but going somewhere like Sweden, it won't be a problem. I have every confidence that Jari will be right back up to speed.
"The test is right before the event as well, so he'll arrive at the start after two full days on the snow. Looking at the accident, it's not bad ' and it helps that Jari's been able to look at the footage and all the data to know why and how it happened. It's always better when you can explain to yourself what happened. Genuinely, I have no worries going forward from here."
Latvala is a previous winner of Rally Sweden, taking victory on the 2008 event to become the youngest ever winner of a WRC round, then aged 22.