World Rally Championship's superally system should be dropped, says FIA president Jean Todt
|By David Evans||Friday, January 20th 2012, 10:58 GMT|
The future for the World Rally Championship's controversial superally regulation has been called into question by FIA president Jean Todt.
This week's Monte Carlo Rally is the first event since 2004 to be running without the regulation, now called Rally 2, which allows crews who have retired to return to the rally on the following day with the possibility of still scoring points. Todt congratulated the Automobile Club de Monaco on its decision.
"I would say I quite like the idea that if you have retired, you have retired," he said. "I feel it's not natural [to rejoin]. It is the only category where, if you have retired, you can still score points. I don't see any logic. I welcome this proposal from the Automobile Club de Monaco.
"For me, we have never seen any kind of racing where you retire and then a few hours later you come back and score points. I understand it can be helpful to do some further testing and to learn your car more, but I am sure we can address those problems, but again, I am completely against the idea of scoring points when you retire.
"I'm sorry, when you have a strong team like Ford losing a car after the fourth stage with [Jari-Matti] Latvala, I feel it's a shame, but that's racing."
Every other event in the WRC is expected to include the Rally 2 regulation, but Todt said he awaited further discussion on the matter.
"What will happen in the future, I would let the experts make their proposal - the WRC Commission makes their suggestion for the future," he said.
Last year's World Rally Championship would have been won by Mikko Hirvonen and not Sebastien Loeb if Rally 2 had not been in place.