autosport.com
Search:
Find out more about our subscriptions
  AUTOSPORT+ LOGIN AUTOSPORT Plus  
Username:
Password:
F1 NEWS 

Concerns mount over Sakhir decision

BahrainRubens Barrichello says that Formula 1 drivers are seeking assurances about the safety implications of racing in Bahrain this year, amid a growing backlash against the FIA's decision to reinstate the event on the 2011 calendar.

The FIA announced last Friday that the Bahrain Grand Prix would be rescheduled for October 30 this year because it believed the political turmoil that had forced its postponement earlier this year had eased.

That decision has been heavily criticised in the last few days with senior figures, including former FIA president Max Mosley and Mark Webber, warning of problems for F1, and Bahrain activists now planning a 'Day of Rage' for the race date.

Barrichello, who is head of the Grand Prix Drivers' Association, has also spoken out - claiming drivers are uneasy about the situation they may find themselves in by racing in the country.

"I would like to make it clear that I love the track and the event itself," Barrichello said in an interview with the Brazilian Totalrace website.

"Therefore, I want to be sure that we will be safe there. In the GPDA meetings, all of the drivers showed concern and demanded safety to race in Bahrain.

"Of course we will have more travelling and work. The teams will have much more work to do. But for us, the drivers, what really matters is safety. The rest is not important."

F1 drivers are not the only ones concerned about safety, with teams also believed to privately express reservations about the implications of racing in the Gulf island state amid ongoing trouble.

Renault team principal Eric Boullier said that his outfit would be happy to race in Bahrain if the safety of its personnel could be guaranteed.

"Lotus Renault GP acknowledge the decision made by the FIA World Motor Sport Council," he said. "That decision is likely to be discussed internally within FOTA, and a more detailed joint position may be defined after those discussions have taken place.

"I have already spoken at length about our team's position recently: we are happy to go to Bahrain as long as our safety and the security of the people living there is guaranteed."

With Mosley having warned over the weekend that a running of the Bahrain GP will 'cost F1 dear', Britain's Minister of Sport Hugh Robertson has equally warned of a 'disaster' for the sport.

"You cannot have a situation where politics overtakes sport," Robertson told the Daily Telegraph.

"If that happens, you have a disaster on your hands. You can understand why opposition groups might want the race to go ahead if they are planning protests around it and this is a danger."

The Bahrain GP was postponed earlier this year in the wake of protests sparked by a 'Day of Rage' in February, and now activists plan to hold another one on the October 30 date to highlight their continued opposition to the Bahrain government.

Nabeel Rajab, president of the Bahrain Centre for Human Rights, said that protests would be extensive.

"It is a very sad moment to hear that Grand Prix feels that their benefits and their interests are more important than the human rights of people in this region," he said.

"The people are very upset and already they have called the day of that racing as a 'Day of Rage', where you come out everywhere and in every city of Bahrain to show anger towards the Bahrain government; what the Bahrain regime is doing towards their own people."

F1 teams are expected to discuss their response to the Bahrain situation this week, prior to travelling to Montreal for this weekend's Canadian Grand Prix.

Subs
  More news  
    advertisement
  RELATED LINKS
Read the AUTOSPORT Digital Edition
Visit the autosport.com shop
See highlights from 60 years of AUTOSPORT
  FOLLOW AUTOSPORT ON
FOLLOW AUTOSPORT ON TWITTER
Paddock insight from group F1 editor Jonathan Noble
Grand Prix news updates from F1 editor Edd Straw
Breaking news feed
Live commentary feed
  RELATED STORIES
Mercedes, McLaren accept FIA decision
Amnesty: Bahrain no better than 2011
Hill now fully behind Bahrain decision
FIA: Bahrain GP will go ahead
Human rights body warning over Bahrain
Button: F1 must stay united on Bahrain
Campaigner disputes Yates 'safe' claim
Webber: No choice but to trust FIA
Ecclestone insists Bahrain GP is on
FIA reassured Bahrain GP will be safe
FOTA says FIA must make Bahrain call
Bahrain chief blames 'scaremongering'
Ecclestone 'can't force' Bahrain choice
Sakhir boss: GP can help Bahrainis
Hill: F1 can't be 'indifferent' to Bahrain
MP says Bahrain GP should not go ahead
Hill calls for Bahrain GP rethink
Ecclestone trusts Bahrain will be safe
Bahrain secures fresh political backing
Horner: Teams trust FIA over Bahrain
Ecclestone: No fears over Bahrain GP
MP group says Bahrain should go ahead
FIA urged to drop the Bahrain GP
Team bosses trust FIA over Bahrain
Ecclestone still confident over Bahrain
Sakhir welcomes reinstated staff
Teams 'must trust' FIA over Bahrain GP
Bahrain downplays human rights worries
F1 teams asked to boycott Bahrain GP
Ecclestone hopes Bahrain goes ahead
Bahrain confident '12 race will happen
Teams concerned over Bahrain return
Ecclestone: Bahrain still paid for GP
Bahrain GP boss criticises F1 teams
Bahrain officially off 2011 calendar
Ecclestone made late Bahrain bid
FIA chronology on Bahrain GP
Bahrain set to be officially removed
Bahrain gives up on 2011 race
Bahrain affair 'damaging', say teams
FIA asks Ecclestone for new calendar
Parr says too late to change calendar
Ecclestone says Bahrain GP now unlikely
Gracia defends FIA's Bahrain report
FOTA requests delay to Bahrain return
Mosley: No chance Bahrain will go ahead
Ecclestone wants Bahrain GP rethink
FIA will still monitor Bahrain situation
Mosley: Bahrain 'will cost F1 dear'
Webber critical of Bahrain decision
FIA reinstates Bahrain Grand Prix
Bahrain call 'nothing to do with money'
Dec 11 finale 'totally unacceptable'
Indian GP could move to December 11
Ecclestone hopes FIA reinstates Bahrain
Mallya: India would move for Bahrain
Brawn against December season finale
Boullier: Bahrain a hard decision
F1 ponders Dec 4 slot for Indian GP
Todt happy to give Bahrain more time
Ecclestone cautious on Bahrain decision
Q & A with Bahrain circuit chairman
Bahrain 'ready' to host Formula 1 race
Bahrain given extension until June
Bahrain Grand Prix talks continue
Bahrain wants F1 back 'in near future'
Ecclestone willing to give Bahrain time
Activists hope Bahrain is not reinstated
May deadline remains for Bahrain GP
Bahrain GP hopes suffer big blow
Bahrain decision to be taken in May
Ecclestone eyes November Bahrain date
Imola replaces Bahrain GP2 round
Bahrain GP decision set for this month
GP2 Asia hunts for substitute event
Date adjustment for final F1 test
Williams 'would've missed' Bahrain
Ecclestone aims to slot in Bahrain GP
GP2 Asia confirms Bahrain cancellation
FIA fully supports Bahrain decision
Bahrain hoping for swift F1 return
Barcelona to host final F1 test
Webber: Schedule change no big deal
Bahrain withdraws opening race
Monday deadline for test decision
F1 trivial in Bahrain situation - Webber
Ecclestone to let Bahrain judge safety
Travel warning increases Bahrain doubts
Extra test planned if Bahrain is cancelled
Teams will follow FIA, FOM on Bahrain
Ecclestone now cautious over Bahrain
Ecclestone 'more hopeful' on Bahrain GP
Ecclestone to act quickly on Bahrain
Bahrain pressing ahead with F1 plans
Bahrain GP2 Asia race cancelled
Bahrain GP concerns grow amid tension
Bahrain GP bosses promise safe event
Ecclestone concerned about Bahrain
Protesters target Bahrain Grand Prix
Haymarket