Mortara seals pole at Macau
|By Jonathan Noble||Saturday, November 20th 2010, 01:07 GMT|
Edoardo Mortara grabbed pole position for the Macau Grand Prix qualification race with a controlled performance during another incident-filled session at the Guia circuit on Saturday morning.
With qualifying having been rescheduled after the red flag delays on Friday, Mortara kept his cool to just edge out Valtteri Bottas - who saved his best for the very last lap of the session.
Mortara improved on his provisional pole position time early into qualifying before seeing Signature team-mate Laurens Vanthoor push him off the top spot.
But Mortara dug deep to improve again, setting a pole position time of 2m11.165s with just more than eight minutes of the session remaining.
Bottas had slipped down the order but managed to get a clear lap together in the final seconds to get within quarter of a second of Mortara.
Vanthoor ended up third, ahead of Daniel Abt, Marco Wittmann and Roberto Merhi.
The session was stopped twice because of accidents. Adderly Fong and Yuji Kunimoto crashed at the Solitude Esses in separate accidents before the halfway point.
There were several other crashes - with Jean-Eric Vergne, Will Buller, Oliver Webb, Yuji Kunimoto and Antonio Felix da Costa among those to hit the barriers.
Pos Driver Team Car Time Gap
1. Edoardo Mortara Signature D/V 2m11.165s
2. Valtteri Bottas Prema D/M 2m11.383s +0.218
3. Laurens Vanthoor Signature D/V 2m11.594s +0.429
4. Daniel Abt Signature D/V 2m11.919s +0.754
5. Marco Wittmann Signature D/V 2m11.937s +0.772
6. Roberto Merhi Prema D/M 2m12.063s +0.898
7. Carlos Huertas Hitech D/V 2m12.543s +1.378
8. Felix Rosenqvist Performance D/V 2m12.664s +1.499
9. Renger van der Zande Motopark D/V 2m12.682s +1.517
10. Daniel Juncadella Prema D/M 2m12.861s +1.696
11. Jean-Eric Vergne Carlin D/V 2m13.042s +1.877
12. Alexander Sims Raikkonen D/M 2m13.261s +2.096
13. Antonio Felix da Costa Carlin D/V 2m13.511s +2.346
14. Jazeman Jaafar Carlin D/V 2m13.520s +2.355
15. Hywel Lloyd CF/Manor D/M 2m13.536s +2.371
16. Felipe Nasr Raikkonen D/M 2m13.576s +2.411
17. James Calado Carlin D/V 2m13.609s +2.444
18. Oliver Webb Fortec D/M 2m13.651s +2.486
19. Alexandre Imperatori Toda D/H 2m13.752s +2.587
20. Carlos Munoz Hitech D/V 2m14.660s +3.495
21. Rafael Suzuki TOM's D/T 2m14.733s +3.568
22. Lucas Foresti Fortec D/M 2m14.743s +3.578
23. Yuhi Sekiguchi Three Bond D/N 2m14.826s +3.661
24. Rio Haryanto Raikkonen D/M 2m14.860s +3.695
25. Kimiya Sato Motopark D/V 2m15.671s +4.506
26. Michael Ho Raikkonen D/M 2m16.314s +5.149
27. Hideki Yamauchi Hanashima D/T 2m18.456s +7.291
28. Yuji Kunimoto TOM's D/T 2m18.473s +7.308
29. Will Buller Fortec D/M 2m20.368s +9.203
30. Adderly Fong Sino Vision D/M no time