Alonso unfazed by team orders row
|By Jonathan Noble and Pablo Elizalde||Thursday, July 29th 2010, 15:49 GMT|
Fernando Alonso says he is not affected at all by the team orders controversy involving his Ferrari squad following the German Grand Prix.
Ferrari was fined $100,000 for illegal use of team orders last weekend, when Alonso was handed the lead of the race by team-mate Felipe Massa.
The Italian squad will also face the FIA's World Motor Sport Council for its actions.
But despite the turmoil triggered by the events, Alonso says he is unfazed and insists he remains completely focused on the championship.
"Of course it doesn't affect me. Not at all," Alonso told Spanish journalists in Hungary. "If we lost one per cent of our concentration in everything they say we'd be lost.
"Not only because of Germany, but because there's always a small anecdote in every race. One time is the crash between the Red Bulls in Turkey, another time is the overtaking in the pitlane between Massa and me.
"There's always something to talk about next week so we can't pay too much attention."
He added: "There are many opinions and many things have been said in the last couple of days.
"The only important thing for us is that the car is competitive and we can do well here in Hungary as well. But the opinion of everybody, some of the drivers or team principals, it is their opinion and we respect everything, but we concentrate on our job."
"There is nothing to say right now. That is your opinion - what you think about the fans. For sure some of them are unhappy with some races and not only in Germany, there were some more races this year, and some of them they don't care.
"I arrive today in Hungary, the airport was full, the hotel was full of people cheering for us, and that is the fans I saw today so far. Maybe I see some others that you mention now, but at the moment I only saw those ones."
The Spaniard echoed Massa's comments from earlier, when the Brazilian said he was not a number two driver.
"I think there is not a number one or number two driver. I think it is more about respect of each other, respect of racing for the Scuderia – which means a lot," he said.
"I think we are happy with the performance of the car in the last couple of races and in Germany finally there was the point we arrived with both cars at the chequered flag without problems and we scored points.
"But also in Silverstone and Valencia the car was good, so our aim here is to continue in this line. The talks of the not talks, it is the past and we have nothing to say any more. We all said everything in Germany."
The Spanish driver said he didn't believe his reputation had been affected by the events.
"That is your opinion, and you have one opinion, that is very respectful, but I don't think anything changed to me or anything happened back to me," he said.
"I am still the same and I will fight always for the best things possible, for my team, for the sport and hopefully I can do well always in my career."
He also claimed he was not wasting any time thinking of the verdict of the WMSC meeting.
"I think we will see. At the moment the drivers, now we need to concentrate on driving, we have a very interesting GP here in front of us now, here in Hungary, we have some good possibilities of doing some good performance so anything that happens in the future of the WMSC is not in our hands.
"From a drivers' point of view we just need to concentrate and drive well and be okay."