Dixon tops first full Indy practice
|By Steven English
||Tuesday, May 18th 2010, 22:12 GMT
Scott Dixon set the fastest lap of Tuesday's running during this week's Indianapolis 500 practice.
The session was the first full day of practice, with yesterday's having been abandoned due to rain, ahead of qualifying this weekend. Though today's session was brought to a premature end, just a few minutes ahead of the scheduled time, when EJ Viso crashed heavily at Turn 1.
He was removed from the car and taken to the medical facility on a stretcher, before being transfered to the Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis. Viso was awake and alert throughout, but complaining of back pain.
Dixon topped the practice with a best time of 39.7265s (226.549mph), set early in the session when he knocked Mario Moraes off the top. But the Brazilian remained second and ended 0.1119s behind Dixon at 225.913mph.
Moraes survived a spin in the pit exit on the inside of Turn 1 mid-way through the six-hour session. He hit the retaining wall twice but was able to drive his KV Racing car back to the pits with just minor damage to the rear wing.
"These two days of testing have been really good," said Moraes. "We've just been getting back up to speed. The car feels really good. So far we've just worked on race set-up and I think tomorrow we will start working out our qualifying set-up.
"We didn't get to run the whole program today. I spun in Turn 1 coming out of the pits and I drove the car back to pitlane. The car wasn't hurt badly.
"I've been looking at the weather for the week and it looks like the qualifying weekend is going to be hotter, so we're waiting until we get closer to the weekend. I'm pretty confident that we have a car to get into the top nine and I'm pretty confident we can get into the field on the first day. I'm not sure if we have a car for the pole, but if we do then we will be fighting for that."
More caution periods broke up the running, with one for debris on the track early on, another for a track inspection and two more brief stoppages for rain inside the final hour.
But there was plenty of time for clear running and most drivers chose to complete between 20 and 50 laps in the time before Viso's crash.
Marco Andretti finished the day third fastest, ahead of Alex Tagliani, Dan Wheldon and Tony Kanaan. 2007 Indy 500 winner Dario Franchitti was seventh, ahead of three-time winner Helio Castroneves, with Will Power and Simona de Silvestro completing the top 10.
Pos Driver Team Time Speed Laps
1. Scott Dixon Ganassi 39.7265s 226.549mph 36
2. Mario Moraes KV 39.8384s 225.913mph 32
3. Marco Andretti Andretti 39.8669s 225.751mph 50
4. Alex Tagliani FAZZT 39.9301s 225.394mph 27
5. Dan Wheldon Panther 39.9329s 225.378mph 24
6. Tony Kanaan Andretti 39.9696s 225.171mph 30
7. Dario Franchitti Ganassi 40.0068s 224.962mph 25
8. Helio Castroneves Penske 40.0297s 224.833mph 37
9. Will Power Penske 40.0948s 224.468mph 37
10. Simona de Silvestro HVM 40.1470s 224.176mph 60
11. Paul Tracy KV 40.1750s 224.020mph 43
12. AJ Foyt IV Foyt 40.2011s 223.874mph 32
13. John Andretti Petty/Andretti 40.2189s 223.775mph 52
14. Hideki Mutoh Newman/Haas 40.2260s 223.736mph 42
15. Jay Howard Sarah Fisher 40.2340s 223.691mph 34
16. Vitor Meira Foyt 40.2388s 223.665mph 57
17. Ryan Hunter-Reay Andretti 40.2442s 223.635mph 44
18. Juston Wilson D & R 40.2502s 223.601mph 45
19. Ryan Briscoe Penske 40.2784s 223.445mph 53
20. Graham Rahal RLR 40.2812s 223.429mph 45
21. Ed Carpenter Panther 40.2958s 223.348mph 26
22. Bertrand Baguette Conquest 40.3020s 223.314mph 49
23. Townsend Bell Schmidt/Ganassi 40.3763s 222.903mph 34
24. Davey Hamilton de Ferran Dragon 40.3891s 222.832mph 45
25. Raphael Matos de Ferran Dragon 40.4018s 222.762mph 34
26. Takuma Sato KV 40.4170s 222.679mph 57
27. EJ Viso KV 40.4293s 222.611mph 62
28. Tomas Scheckter D & R 40.4566s 222.461mph 43
29. Sarah Fisher Sarah Fisher 40.4959s 222.245mph 15
30. Danica Patrick Andretti 40.5400s 222.003mph 61
31. Ana Beatriz D & R 40.5459s 221.971mph 45
32. Alex Lloyd Dale Coyne 40.5548s 221.922mph 81
33. Mike Conway D & R 40.5673s 221.854mph 65
34. Mario Romancini Conquest 40.6112s 221.614mph 75
35. Sebastian Saavedra Bryan Herta 40.7338s 220.947mph 42
36. Milka Duno Dale Coyne 40.8462s 220.339mph 51
37. Bruno Junqueira FAZZT no time 0