autosport.com
Search:
Find out more about our subscriptions
  AUTOSPORT+ LOGIN AUTOSPORT Plus  
Username:
Password:
F1 NEWS 

Silverstone secures British GP from 2010

Silverstone crowdThe British Grand Prix will stay at the Silverstone circuit next year after the Northamptonshire track reached a deal with Bernie Ecclestone after weeks of negotiations.

Silverstone looked set to lose the race last year when Ecclestone signed a 17-year deal with Donington Park to host the grand prix from next season.

However, Donington failed to raise the funds to carry out a redevelopment project and so Ecclestone began talks with Silverstone.

The British Racing Drivers' Club, owners of the track, confirmed on Monday morning they had secured a 17-year agreement to host the British Grand Prix from 2010.

The circuit will also host a MotoGP race next year.

"The title of Silverstone as home of motorsport has come true," said BRDC president Damon Hill. "It is a place for all motorsport. Everyone in the BRDC loves motorsport and we are looking forward to the MotoGP as well as the British Grand Prix.

"It is not easy to enter into a contract of this magnitude and you have to take on a lot of responsibility, but the BRDC wanted this relationship to continue.

"Everyone was well aware that the British GP is not just a sporting event, but it is dynamo of the industry in this country. Losing it would have been damaging and perhaps there would have been no coming back."

Hill said the new pit and paddock work will begin after Christmas and it is hoped it will be finished for the 2011 race.

Silverstone's managing director Richard Phillips said the circuit will work hard to given the fans better value for their money.

"Even this year with the new circuit we are trying to get better access for public, changing granstands for better viewing and running our own campsites to be better than the current ones," he said.

"We want to increase the entertainment factor."

He said the new contract has a clause to break the deal in 10 years' time as a safety net.

"There is a mutual opportunity to break it is not what we want to do," he said. "It is a good safety thing to have."

Phillips said Silverstone is looking at using the new 'Arena' circuit for F1 next year.

"The FIA have been to see it, it has been submitted for homologation and we hope to be running on the 'arena' circuit next summer. If not we can run on the current circuit."

Subs
  More news  
    advertisement
  RELATED LINKS
Read the AUTOSPORT Digital Edition
Visit the autosport.com shop
See highlights from 60 years of AUTOSPORT
  FOLLOW AUTOSPORT ON
FOLLOW AUTOSPORT ON TWITTER
Paddock insight from group F1 editor Jonathan Noble
Grand Prix news updates from F1 editor Edd Straw
Breaking news feed
Live commentary feed
  RELATED STORIES
Hill: Silverstone upgrade was needed
Coulthard gives Arena the thumbs-up
Q & A with Richard Phillips
Silverstone eyes '11 for new pit complex
Webber: Arena layout good for Red Bull
Silverstone unveils new Arena layout
Silverstone works near completion
Silverstone to use new track for 2010 GP
Silverstone close to 'Arena' go-ahead
Q & A with Richard Phillips
Silverstone set to decide on GP layout
Silverstone confident over ticket sales
Silverstone plans new British GP layout
Button glad Silverstone is staying in F1
Hamilton delighted by Silverstone deal
Q & A with Damon Hill
Hill feared for British GP future
Ecclestone welcomes Silverstone deal
British GP fate to be known on Monday
Donington could still host British GP
Time running out for Silverstone deal
Ecclestone sets deadline for Silverstone
No government funds for Silverstone
Silverstone closing in on GP deal
Ecclestone: Donington hopes are over
Whitmarsh: F1 needs British GP
Final deadline passes for Donington
Ecclestone warns Silverstone over deal
Silverstone already in 2010 GP talks
Donington admits bond plan has failed
Donington appoints Sir Rodney Walker
Donington's bond rated high risk
Donington unveils funding plans
Ecclestone denies Donington's deadline
Donington gets new deadline extension
Ecclestone pessimistic about Donington
Donington handed extended deadline
Donington confident over track progress
Ecclestone issues Donington ultimatum
Hill 'anxious' over Donington plans
Ecclestone: British tracks could share GP
Donington rebuild to begin in August
Donington gets final planning permission
Donington not concerned by F1 crisis
Ecclestone open to Silverstone return
Mosley: Silverstone may keep British GP
Q & A with Donington's Simon Gillett
Donington gets legal document boost
Silverstone fears for British GP future
Gillett confirms 17-year British GP deal
Donington's legal dispute resolved
Gillett insists British GP is not in doubt
Legal bid prompts new British GP doubts
Haymarket