Frank Williams confirms Cosworth switch
|By Jonathan Noble||Friday, October 30th 2009, 07:47 GMT|
Frank Williams has officially confirmed that his team will switch to Cosworth engines next year, as AUTOSPORT revealed earlier this month.
Although the Grove-based outfit has so far kept silent about its engine plans, its move to Cosworth was decided on in the last few weeks after it ended talks it had held with Renault.
And now Williams himself has let the cat out of the bag about its intentions for 2010 after telling the Gulf News newspaper that his team was making the switch to Cosworth.
"We've finished our contract with Toyota and we've moved on to a British engine manufacturer Cosworth with whom we have won many world championships in the past," he said.
"They are 50 miles away from Williams which is very convenient. Besides we also like our independence. We will be not under the influence, not that Toyota ever bossed around, but we've just gone a private and independent route."
He added: "Our performance needs to improve. We staggered in the second half of the 2009 season. It's fundamental that the car is not fast enough, but from what I've seen we should have been a little more competitive."
Williams also revealed that the team will announce its driver plans for next year on Monday, with the team set to reveal Rubens Barrichello and Nico Hulkenberg as its line-up.
"We will announce our drivers for next season on Monday," he said. "[Nico Rosberg] will be leaving and we just thought it was quite a long time.
"There are a few things going on at Williams for next season, with our engines, so we thought we can do better. Nico is German and Mercedes need at least one German driver to sit before their engine."