Theissen confirms Ferrari engine deal
|By Jonathan Noble and Matt Beer||Thursday, September 24th 2009, 13:19 GMT|
Mario Theissen has confirmed that the BMW Sauber team will be Ferrari powered if it can get a place in the 2010 field under its new ownership.
After BMW's decision to withdraw from Formula 1, the squad has been rescued by the Qadbak investment group, but its chances of racing next season depend on the FIA convincing the rest of the pitlane to allow the entry to expand to 14 teams, or another team dropping out. BMW's original place in the entry has gone to the new incarnation of the Lotus team.
The Sauber squad has been strongly linked to a return to the Ferrari engine deal it had prior to the BMW takeover, and in Singapore today current team boss Theissen confirmed that this had been finalised.
"It will run a Ferrari power-train," he said.
Theissen said it was not too soon to decide whether he would remain in charge of the new-look team.
"My personal future is fully open, and I will keep it open until the end of the season," he said. "It would not be helpful to mix up my own situation with all the efforts to secure the future of the team. And I am not concerned that there will be [too little] time later this year."
But he believes the team has a bright future, and that it will definitely be in the field despite the current uncertainty.
"We are very confident to be on the grid next year, and the new investor apparently is quite strong," Theissen said.
"He wants to continue with the team in a strong state, not just as an also-ran. That is an excellent perspective for the team. We could not really expect that.
"So there is strong morale. The team is really positive. We have a good upgrade for the car here, and we want to achieve something in the final four races."