George still baffled by board decision
|By Pablo Elizalde||Monday, July 27th 2009, 10:31 GMT|
Former Indianapolis Motor Speedway boss Tony George says he continues to be baffled as to why he was forced to resign from his position last month.
After weeks of speculation, George stepped down from his role as CEO of Hulman & George Company - owners of the legendary circuit - at the end of June.
George said he is still awaiting an explanation about his dismissal, and he claimed he has not seen any significant changes on the board to make him think his exit was justified.
"I continue to be perplexed by the board's recent decision to relieve me from my responsibility as CEO of the enterprise," George wrote on his Vision Racing team's website.
"To date, I have not received a reasonable explanation as to why; the statement they released to the press not withstanding, I feel as though after 20 years I am entitled to one. I understand that maybe they don't feel that they owe me an explanation.
"One thing I can tell you is that I stood resolute in my conviction on the direction we needed to go and that the measures we have taken since January are only a beginning. A complete review of how we are structured and operate is necessary. Beyond my being dismissed, I am unaware of any changes that are being contemplated that will have a meaningful impact on the organization.
"I have been replaced in my role as manager by two individuals who have been with the company for many years. In that time they have also been members of the executive management team and have participated in all of the strategic decisions that have been made over the last 15 years, so they are well aware of the challenges ahead.
"My question for the board has been not one of who is going to manage the company, but rather, who is going to lead it? There is a distinction."