autosport.com
Search:
Find out more about our subscriptions
  AUTOSPORT+ LOGIN AUTOSPORT Plus  
Username:
Password:
F1 NEWS 

FOTA teams walk out of FIA meeting

The Formula One Teams' Association (FOTA) walked out of a technical meeting with the FIA about future rules on Wednesday, renewing doubts about the strength of the recent peace deal.

The FIA held one of its regular Technical Working Group meetings at the Nurburgring to make moves on finalising F1 rules, following agreement to scrap controversial budget cap regulations.

The meeting included representatives from all the current teams, plus new outfits US F1, Campos Meta and Manor Grand Prix.

Some progress was made in terms of agreeing to scrap the specific budget cap rules introduced on April 29.

However, the teams could not agree on a minimum weight limit for 2010, and there had also not been a sign-off of the legally binding agreement to reduce costs.

Of most interest, though, just a day after AUTOSPORT revealed that FOTA had been told that it could not finalise rules without agreement from non-member teams, the eight outfits involved in the organisation left the meeting when asked to provide input on further rule changes it hoped to see in place.

A statement from the FIA, detailing the meeting, said: "Following the decision of the World Council on 24 June to revert to the pre-29 April version of the 2010 F1 Sporting and Technical Regulations, the FIA today met the teams which have entered the 2010 Championship to seek their agreement to these changes.

"All changes have now been agreed subject only to the maintenance of the minimum weight at 620 kg and the signing of a legally binding agreement between all the teams competing in 2010 to reduce costs to the level of the early 1990s within two years, as promised by the FOTA representative in Paris on 24 June.

"The eight FOTA teams were invited to attend the meeting to discuss their further proposals for 2010. Unfortunately no discussion was possible because FOTA walked out of the meeting."

The decision by FOTA to walk out of the meeting has not yet been explained, but it has renewed fears that there is still major differences about its path for the future and the FIA's.

Mosley has already told FOTA that he is considering standing again as president in October in light of what he believes were deliberately misleading comments made to the media about a deal they reached last month to avert the threat of a breakaway.

Subs
  More news  
    advertisement
  RELATED LINKS
Read the AUTOSPORT Digital Edition
Visit the autosport.com shop
See highlights from 60 years of AUTOSPORT
  FOLLOW AUTOSPORT ON
FOLLOW AUTOSPORT ON TWITTER
Breaking news feed
Live commentary feed
  RELATED STORIES
Williams and Force India rejoin FOTA
Melbourne won't host 'half an F1 race'
FOTA pushing ahead with breakaway
Melbourne could pull out over F1 rows
FIA: FOTA was aware of observer status
FOTA says FIA putting F1 in jeopardy
FIA: FOTA can't finalise rules by itself
Williams hopes to return to FOTA
Howett pleased with FIA resolution
Di Montezemolo hails Mosley contribution
FOTA teams call off breakaway series
FIA confirms 2010 F1 entry list
Mosley: Peace agreed in Formula 1
Analysis: All eyes on Paris
Mosley ready to run for re-election
Briatore: Time for deal has passed
Ecclestone won't let F1 'disintegrate'
FOTA denies compromise deal is close
Mosley open to talks with FOTA
Q & A with Ross Brawn
FOTA beginning work on new series
Mosley not expecting quick resolution
FOTA series could attract new teams
Mosley unlikely to step down amid crisis
Button: Staying with top teams is priority
Mosley believes split unlikely to happen
Ferrari stays silent on FIA's legal threat
Theissen: FOTA left with no choice
FIA to launch legal action against FOTA
Force India waiting on F1 future
Ecclestone urged to broker peace deal
Fry: FIA talks conducted in good faith
Horner: F1 future now in FIA's hands
FIA blames factions in FOTA for split
FOTA teams to launch breakaway series
FOTA to meet to discuss FIA response
Mosley outlines deal offer to teams
Mosley offers deal but deadline stands
FOTA urges for compromise in row
The full statement from the FIA
FIA: FOTA trying to control F1 rules
FIA says 40m budget cap going ahead
FOTA: No comment on FIA statement
FIA 'surprised' by ACEA's calls
Brawn: Formula 1 must learn from row
FIA: FOTA members preventing deal
ACEA wants change to F1 governance
FOTA vows to change 'bad' FIA rules
FOTA seeking 'sensible governance'
FOTA asks WMSC to intervene in F1 row
Formula 1 awaits 2010 entry list
Mosley to meet with teams today
Hill warns F1 not to repeat IRL mistake
Ecclestone would fight breakaway series
FIA hints at progress as FOTA responds
Schumacher: F1 needs manufacturers
FOTA plans response to Mosley
Manufacturers could face legal challenge
Mosley: FOTA should enter to shape F1
Massa: Formula 1 row a nightmare
Mallya wants FOTA suspension reversed
Drivers support FOTA in F1 future row
Drivers and FOTA discuss F1 crisis
Brawn pledges commitment to FOTA
Briatore baffled by FIA/FOTA row
Force India lodges unconditional entry
Force India facing FOTA suspension
Q & A with Mario Theissen
Start your own series, Mosley tells FOTA
Q & A with John Howett
Howett: Unity will make F1 stronger
Q & A with Stefano Domenicali
Domenicali: Entries not a climbdown
Exclusive Q & A with John Howett
FOTA teams submit F1 entries for 2010
FOTA agrees on plan to help new teams
Parr: Williams not trying to split FOTA
Williams team suspended by FOTA
McLaren feels 'peacemaker' in FIA row
Williams submits F1 entry for 2010
Teams demand FIA ditch 2010 rules
Mosley: Cost cap solution in sight
Teams continue work on F1 agreement
Fry: Talks have made good progress
Teams fail to reach agreement with FIA
Santander confident of F1 agreement
Di Montezemolo: F1 teams are united
Ecclestone warns Ferrari of legal action
Theissen urges teams to remain positive
Ecclestone worried Ferrari may leave F1
Q & A with Kimi Raikkonen
Raikkonen pledges future to Ferrari
FIA welcomes verdict, criticises Ferrari
Ferrari board to discuss F1 future
Haymarket