Jorg Muller set the fastest time in the opening practice session of this weekend's World Touring Car round at Pau.
The German led the way as BMWs hit back from a poor showing in Morocco two weeks ago to fill three of the first four places, with Augusto Farfus second quickest and Andy Priaulx fourth.
Reigning champion Yvan Muller was the first of the SEATs and split the BMW trio in third place. SEAT's Gabriele Tarquini was fifth quickest ahead of Alain Menu in the first of the Chevrolets.
The so far dominant diesel-powered Leons did not produce their expected pace with Muller and Tarquini only third and fifth, and Jordi Gene, Tiago Monteiro and Rickard Rydell ending the session in 12th, 13th and 15th place.
Meanwhile, the petrol-powered independent class Leons outpaced three of the factory machines with Marin Colak, Tom Coronel and Tom Boardman seventh, eighth and ninth fastest. Felix Porteiro completed the top 10 in his independent BMW.
Pos Driver Car Time Gap
1. Jorg Muller BMW 1m23.522s
2. Augusto Farfus BMW 1m23.725s +0.203
3. Yvan Muller SEAT 1m23.746s +0.224
4. Andy Priaulx BMW 1m24.060s +0.538
5. Gabriele Tarquini SEAT 1m24.274s +0.752
6. Alain Menu Chevrolet 1m24.326s +0.804
7. Marin Colak SEAT 1m24.356s +0.834
8. Tom Coronel SEAT 1m24.545s +1.023
9. Tom Boardman SEAT 1m24.576s +1.054
10. Felix Porteiro BMW 1m24.631s +1.109
11. Nicola Larini Chevrolet 1m24.677s +1.155
12. Jordi Gene SEAT 1m24.803s +1.281
13. Tiago Monteiro SEAT 1m24.857s +1.335
14. Sergio Hernandez BMW 1m24.864s +1.342
15. Rickard Rydell SEAT 1m24.870s +1.348
16. Robert Huff Chevrolet 1m25.051s +1.529
17. Franz Engstler BMW 1m25.091s +1.569
18. Jaap van Lagen Lada 1m25.121s +1.599
19. Mehdi Bennani SEAT 1m25.267s +1.745
20. Stefano D'Aste BMW 1m25.410s +1.888
21. Eric Cayrolle SEAT 1m25.597s +2.075
22. Kristian Poulsen BMW 1m26.640s +3.118
23. Kirill Ladygin Lada 1m26.886s +3.364
24. Viktor Shapovalov Lada 1m27.074s +3.552
25. Laurent Cazenave BMW 1m27.279s +3.757
26. Alex Zanardi BMW 1m31.202s +7.680