autosport.com
Search:
Find out more about our subscriptions
  AUTOSPORT+ LOGIN AUTOSPORT Plus  
Username:
Password:
F1 NEWS 

No agreement between teams and FIA

The FIA's crunch meeting with teams ended without agreement on Friday as the governing body refused to compromise over plans for a two-tier category.

Max Mosley said there had been 'friendly' discussions with teams but that the FIA was not willing to back down over its plans for a £40 million cap, or the 29 May deadline for entries to the 2010 world championship.

The teams have now gone into another meeting to discuss their response to the FIA's stance.

"It was quite a friendly meeting, but in the end all that happened was that the teams have gone off to see if they can come up with something better than the cost cap," Mosley told reporters after the Heathrow meeting.

"We explained we cannot put back the entry date, as this has all been published, and we cannot disadvantage the potential new teams who will come in. But we are prepared to listen to whatever they have to say.

"In the meantime, the regulations are as published. We have explained that we want everyone to race under the same regulations. We have explained that we would like all of the teams to come in under the cost cap and that is what they have gone off to consider.

"We have said that we cannot see why anyone wouldn't want to operate under the cost cap, and it would mean a gradual relaxation of the technical regulations - which all the engineers would want. We said in the end the choice was between intellectual freedom and financial constraint, or intellectual constraint and financial freedom - which is what they have had up until now.

"We have pointed out, and it is something the engineers have said, that current F1 consists of endless refinement at enormous expense and we want to move away from that and have invention and creativity, but we can only do that if we restrict the cost - because if we have unrestricted cost nobody would be able to afford it.

"I think some of the teams agree with that idea, and some don't, and they have gone away to discuss it."

Ferrari, Renault, Toyota and the Red Bull teams have already declared that they will not enter the 2010 season under the rules as presently proposed by the FIA, and when asked if that remained the case, Mosley replied: "Well, as things stand, yes that is the situation."

It also emerged today that Ferrari has lodged legal action in the French courts to block the 2010 rules - claiming their introduction was a breach of a technical veto the Italian team has.

"During the meeting it became apparent that Ferrari has made an application to the French courts, and I don't know the details, but it is to apply for an injunction to stop us doing what we want to do," Mosley explained. "So that is where the situation rests as far as Ferrari is concerned."

The FIA president added that the discussions had extended to talks on a new Concorde Agreement, but that this issue also remained unresolved.

"Then they asked about the Concorde Agreement, and we said that we would be prepared if there was agreement on all of the other issues to resign the 1998 Concorde Agreement, and extend it for another five years," said Mosley.

"But there was not agreement between them and Bernie [Ecclestone] on the commercial side, which is unsurprising because they have been talking about it for two and a half years and still not reached agreement."

  More news  
    advertisement
  RELATED LINKS
Read the AUTOSPORT Digital Edition
Visit the autosport.com shop
See highlights from 60 years of AUTOSPORT
  FOLLOW AUTOSPORT ON
FOLLOW AUTOSPORT ON TWITTER
Paddock insight from group F1 editor Jonathan Noble
Grand Prix news updates from F1 editor Edd Straw
Breaking news feed
Live commentary feed
  RELATED STORIES
Ferrari says it cannot be entered by FIA
Ferrari evaluating further legal action
Ferrari loses legal bid against FIA
Court to rule on Ferrari case tomorrow
Fight for F1 rules moves to courtroom
Mosley: Teams set to miss May deadline
Ecclestone: Two-tier will be scrapped
Teams vow to find cost cutting solution
Q & A with Stefano Domenicali
Ferrari pushing to stay under own terms
Mosley dismisses fears of F1 crisis
Parr: Time running out for F1 solution
Briatore: Solution needed 'at all costs'
Ecclestone joins FIA/FOTA meeting
Howett: Teams want right governance
Ferrari vows to take passion elsewhere
Renault also reconsidering 2010 entry
Ferrari threatens to leave F1 in 2010
FIA trusts cap deal can be reached
Red Bull will not enter two-tier F1
Whitmarsh: F1 at a 'critical' point
Ecclestone: Formula 1 is Ferrari
Toyota warns it may not lodge entry
Theissen in warning over two-tier F1
FOTA calls for talks over budget cap
Ecclestone says he will protect Ferrari
Mosley: F1 could survive without Ferrari
Ferrari warns budget cap may hurt F1
Mallya cautious on FIA's new rules
Williams also against two-tier series
McLaren reluctant about two-tier series
New teams to get financial support
FIA's budget cap Q & A
FIA confirms £40m budget cap for 2010
Mosley hints at increased budget cap
New teams set for budget cap boost
FOTA budget cap response not ready
FIA consults teams on budget cap
FOTA supports budget caps, not tiers
Mosley: FOTA response was 'weak'
FIA: Cap to lead to clever engineering
FIA introduces £30m budget cap
Q & A with Max Mosley
FIA to reevaluate F1 budget caps
BMW boss in favour of budget caps
F1 aims for 110m Euro budget cap
Budget cap Q & A with Max Mosley
Fry backs 'logical' budget cap idea
Richards says budget cap not viable
Mosley: F1 budget cap is achievable
Budget cap set for 2009 introduction
BMW in favour of budget caps
Engine freeze shortened to five years
Mosley: engine freeze beneficial for all
Purnell: engine freeze good for F1
Engine development frozen for ten years
Engine makers seek team support for rules
Manufacturers submit engine proposals
Haymarket