Click to view our fantastic subscription offers

Instant access to the F1 paddock

You have 10 views remaining

You have read 5 stories this month. After 15, you will need to register or subscribe.

Register with us for free to view 25 stories a month.

Or subscribe to AUTOSPORT+ for unlimited news stories and access to our exclusive subscriber-only content.

Our commitment to quality journalism

We've introduced metered access to AUTOSPORT which will ensure that the majority of our visitors can continue to view the site for free. But we think that is worth a small investment from those who use it most, so that we can continue to send the leading experts in their field to motor racing paddocks all over the world to break the latest news and produce the most compelling interviews and race reports.

Every visitor gets 15 free page views per month. Once you reach the limit you can register to get 25 views or choose one of our value-for-money subscription packages to continue viewing and to get additional access to a range of features including:

  • Unlimited access to AUTOSPORT with news and views from the paddock
  • Enjoy AUTOSPORT+: subscriber-only analysis, comment and top-quality pictures
  • Get AUTOSPORT magazine in a digital format on your computer or iPad every week
  • Full access to FORIX - the world's best motorsport statistics website

We greatly appreciate your continued support to keep AUTOSPORT at the forefront of motorsport coverage, and we look forward to welcoming you as a new subscriber.

Glenn Freeman Editor
Find out more about our subscriptions

FIA consults teams on budget cap

FIAThe FIA has asked Formula 1 team principals for their input on whether the 30 million per season budget cap figure announced at last month's World Council meeting should be revised, AUTOSPORT can reveal.

In a letter sent to the team principals and seen by AUTOSPORT, FIA president Max Mosley requests the teams to submit what they consider to be the minimum acceptable figure for the budget cap by tomorrow (Thursday).

Against the backdrop of a looming global recession, Mosley has already gone on record as saying that he would be keen to see the budget cap figure set even lower.

"I actually think it could be done for 25 million but that's just my opinion," said Mosley after the budget cap plan was first announced in March. "All my advisers think it should be more."

Mosley's letter offers the teams a final chance to make a case for adjusting the budget cap prior to the anticipated ratification of the technical and financial regulations at the next FIA World Council meeting on April 29. The budget cap is optional, although teams who opt not to adopt it will work to more restrictive technical rules.

Although some existing teams consider the budget cap figure to be too low, those who are evaluating a move into F1 believe that a competitive operation can be run for 30 million a year.

The FIA has also decided that race and test driver salaries should no longer be included in the budget cap figure, a change from the plan announced last month. Expenditure on marketing, hospitality and motorhomes is also excluded.

All other team activities will fall under the budget cap, with services and capital assets valued at the market rate. This will include engine and gearbox supply fees, technical support, windtunnel usage and any outsourced activities.

Mosley adds that the FIA plans to limit expenditure in the medium and long term with such spending restrictions, rather than relying on tight technical regulations.

The move towards budget caps is also likely to be attractive to some of the larger manufacturers who are working to slash costs. Mercedes-Benz CEO Dieter Zetsche told Bloomberg today that costs must be reduced in F1.

"People tend to see Formula 1 as a luxury to entertain management on weekends," said Zetsche. "Costs in F1 will come down significantly because everyone needs it."

The letter also reveals that the FIA intends to grant three new teams a place on the 2010 grid. Both Lola, which today announced that it is evaluating an F1 entry, and USF1 are among the teams who are likely to be in contention for the available slots.

AUTOSPORT also understands that Cosworth has been in discussion with as many as eight teams that are evaluating a move into budget-capped F1.

This raises that possibility that F1 could return to a 26-car grid for the first time since 1995 despite numbers being limited to 24 in recent years.

  More news  
Read the AUTOSPORT Digital Edition
Visit the shop
See highlights from 60 years of AUTOSPORT
Breaking news feed
Live commentary feed
Ferrari says it cannot be entered by FIA
Ferrari evaluating further legal action
Ferrari loses legal bid against FIA
Court to rule on Ferrari case tomorrow
Fight for F1 rules moves to courtroom
Mosley: Teams set to miss May deadline
Ecclestone: Two-tier will be scrapped
Teams vow to find cost cutting solution
Q & A with Stefano Domenicali
Ferrari pushing to stay under own terms
Mosley dismisses fears of F1 crisis
No agreement between teams and FIA
Parr: Time running out for F1 solution
Briatore: Solution needed 'at all costs'
Ecclestone joins FIA/FOTA meeting
Howett: Teams want right governance
Ferrari vows to take passion elsewhere
Renault also reconsidering 2010 entry
Ferrari threatens to leave F1 in 2010
FIA trusts cap deal can be reached
Red Bull will not enter two-tier F1
Whitmarsh: F1 at a 'critical' point
Ecclestone: Formula 1 is Ferrari
Toyota warns it may not lodge entry
Theissen in warning over two-tier F1
FOTA calls for talks over budget cap
Ecclestone says he will protect Ferrari
Mosley: F1 could survive without Ferrari
Ferrari warns budget cap may hurt F1
Mallya cautious on FIA's new rules
Williams also against two-tier series
McLaren reluctant about two-tier series
New teams to get financial support
FIA's budget cap Q & A
FIA confirms 40m budget cap for 2010
Mosley hints at increased budget cap
New teams set for budget cap boost
FOTA budget cap response not ready
FOTA supports budget caps, not tiers
Mosley: FOTA response was 'weak'
FIA: Cap to lead to clever engineering
FIA introduces £30m budget cap
Q & A with Max Mosley
FIA to reevaluate F1 budget caps
BMW boss in favour of budget caps
F1 aims for 110m Euro budget cap
Budget cap Q & A with Max Mosley
Fry backs 'logical' budget cap idea
Richards says budget cap not viable
Mosley: F1 budget cap is achievable
Budget cap set for 2009 introduction
BMW in favour of budget caps
Engine freeze shortened to five years
Mosley: engine freeze beneficial for all
Purnell: engine freeze good for F1
Engine development frozen for ten years
Engine makers seek team support for rules
Manufacturers submit engine proposals